Talk

Advanced search

Nursery dilemma

(7 Posts)
LJLsmum Tue 02-May-17 21:22:11

Hi newby here, here is our dilemma We have a 3 1/2 year old who is at a private nursery. We had put her name down for the school nursery that we wanted her in and requested Monday and Tuesday full days and Wednesday morning as they offer those hours as well as the the usual mornings or afternoons 5 days a week. I work Tuesday Thursday and Friday so could take her to school and back on the Monday and Wednesday and would only need a childminder for the Tuesday. We had hoped to get her in for those days and continue to put her in the private nursery on Thursday and Friday so that we also had her still attending private nursery and could increase her hours there in school holidays.
Now we found we've been offered afternoon sessions every day. This will mean either trying to get a childminder for tues, thurs and Friday to look after her in the morning, drop off after lunch and collect her in the afternoon or continue with the private nursery that she's still in.
We're not sure whether a childminder would be happy with the dropping off and picking up from school as it's only 3 hours between trips to school, and even less when they've actually done the travelling. We're also wondering can we just put her in the school nursery on Monday and Wednesday? Is that allowed or must it be all of the hours used up in their school? Her best friend is going to that school and has the hours her family wanted. So we're disappointed that we may be splitting her up from her little friend. There's also the issue of if we turn the place down, will the school look unfavourably at us for reception year? Thanks for reading this essay. Does anyone have any advice on what they feel is best, other options or advice.

MyschoolMyrules Tue 02-May-17 21:28:36

Just to answer your last question, I believe it is illegal for schools (state schools anyway) to discriminate based on wether a child has attended their nursery or not.

As for the other options, a childminder would very possibly charge you a full day rate. In your position, I would stay with the nursery. They are supposed to cover all areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage, just like a school nursery.

SavoyCabbage Tue 02-May-17 21:34:10

The school won't give a hoot whether your daughter has been to their nursery or not. Not that schools are in charge of their own admissions anyway. They know that partners are juggling all sorts of things, especially in the nursery age year when children are not going full time. They won't feel slighted if you turn down your place.

insancerre Fri 05-May-17 06:28:58

The school will not care which nursery your child went to and it will not make any difference to her chance of getting in the school
All settings follow the EYFS so it doesn't really matter which setting she goes to
I would leave her at the nursery she's at now
I don't see the point of going to the school nursery, and I say that as someone who runs a preschool on a school site

Increasinglymiddleaged Fri 05-May-17 06:35:12

Just leave her at the private nursery, there is no need for them to move to the school nursery. Admissions is based on set criteria (based on where you live) not on school nursery attendance.

Increasinglymiddleaged Fri 05-May-17 06:37:14

In terms of friends preschoolers can make new 'best friends' in the time you are in soft play, that really isn't a major consideration.

BackforGood Sun 07-May-17 19:35:51

Agree with everyone else. The 'best friends' isn't an issue - at this age, dc are friends with those they are alongside.
Also agree re the Reception admissions - it is nothing to do with the school, it is the LA, and they have to follow the criteria, which is nothing to do with which Nursery they do, or do not attend.

CMers are self employed, so you might find someone happy to take to Nursery, but it seems a lot of faff, when you already have her in a Private Nursery you are happy with. All Nurseries follow the same curriculum, and PVIs have a FAR better child: adult ration than school Nurseries (8:1 as opposed to 13:1).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: