Talk

Advanced search

Non catholic child - catholic school?

(53 Posts)
Chappers868 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:26:52

I've applied to both a non religious nursery and a catholic nursery. We are atheists however after looking at performance in the schools in our area, we decided a catholic education would give our son the best chance. My questions are;

How is science taught?
How is sex education addressed?
Are other religions discussed?

Although catholic schools in our area have better results than non faith schools, I'm obviously a little worried about how they'd teach subjects religion may have a different view of.

meditrina Mon 24-Apr-17 18:29:48

In a nursery, very little if that will happen. Except the discussing other religions, which might happen at tthe level of noting principle festivals when they occur.

Unless it is specified in the entrance criteria, attending a nursery does not give any priority in school admissions.

skyzumarubble Mon 24-Apr-17 18:35:18

At nursery I doubt it will make any difference.

Dts are at a catholic primary, we are catholic. They have a liturgy assembly once a week, prayers in the morning and afternoon, say grace at lunchtime. They have hymn practice and lead mass on a Sunday once a year.

They celebrate and learn about all religious festivals not just catholic.

Would you even get a place at the catholic school if not practicing?

missnevermind Mon 24-Apr-17 18:39:45

Do not enrol your child in a religious school and then complain that they are taught religion.

This is my biggest bugbear.
'They taught her the sign of the cross I was so angry!'
'They say prayers 4 times a day it's brainwashing'
If you chose a religious school it will be religious all the time not just in assembly once a week.

Any aided status state school will teach science as science. There are a few independent schools run by very conservative groups that might teach creationism but not in an RC school.

Bumplovin Mon 24-Apr-17 18:44:05

If you are atheists I'm not sure why you would feel comfortable sending your child to a catholic school we are Christian's and will send our child to a faith school but that's because we want them to be taught faith values but because it scored well on ofsted

Bumplovin Mon 24-Apr-17 18:46:19

Not because I mean . I don't have a problem with people who are not practising attending however there will be an emphasis on faith so I just assumed the people choosing it would want that

PotteringAlong Mon 24-Apr-17 18:48:08

Science teaching will be taught as science; no creationism.

Sex education might not be as fulsome as you would like.

They will teach other religions.

Are you going to get in though if your child is not a baptised catholic?

juneau Mon 24-Apr-17 18:48:13

Many faith schools require that you follow that faith and actively practice it - are you sure that's not the case?

My DC go to a Catholic school. DH is a lapsed Catholic, I'm non-practising CofE and the DC aren't baptised into any faith. There is quite a lot of religious stuff tbh. They genuflect multiple times a day, chant Catholic prayers, etc. You need to be comfortable with your DC doing that IMO and possibly coming home rather brainwashed - particularly in the early years where they just swallow whatever they're taught at school without much question.

Deadsouls Mon 24-Apr-17 18:48:36

What missnevermind said.
If as an atheist you are choosing to send your child to a catholic school/nursery, then you can expect they will teach accordingly.

juneau Mon 24-Apr-17 18:49:52

Science and Sex Ed are taught normally. There is no 'intelligent design' in this country - thank goodness!

Smcg123 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:50:47

Catholic schools centre their curriculum on Catholic ethos especially in Primary school.

RancidOldHag Mon 24-Apr-17 18:53:35

They really won't be covering much in EYFS.

And you won't transfer automatically to the school, so this isn't something to consider until it is time to do Reception applications.

Are you actually likely to get a reception place at that school? Have you checked the entrance criteria for all nearby schools and worked out which ones you are likely to qualify for?

toffee1000 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:54:49

I'd doubt you'd get your child into a Catholic school if you weren't Catholic, their admissions policy would likely mean they'd prioritise baptised, practising Catholics above others, even above those who aren't Catholic.
I wouldn't send my kids to a Catholic school because I'm not Catholic. I'd feel hypocritical.
Also my C of E primary school was not hugely religious, we only prayed in assembly, we did do Christmas carol services/occasional Eucharists but I didn't have a problem with it, and neither did my parents. We were also taught about all religions. There is very little mention of other religions being taught at my local Catholic school.

Berrybakecake1 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:55:09

To answer your questions
Science is taught the same as any school.
Sex education is taught again as standard.
And all religions are covered on the curriculum.

From a personal perspective I went to both.
We converted to catholicism when I was 7 so started out non religious then went to a Catholic primary. I found the non-religious more religious than my catholic primary and we had nuns teach us.
Yes we had a liturgy mass once a week and prayers 4 times a day and sang hymns etc but it was far more relaxed and a lovely nurturing environment.
I am now a lapsed catholic and my children have gone to bon-religious primary and complain about how much religion they have to cover when they're not even religious.
As a pp has already said just don't complain about how many prayers etc they will have to participate in if you do put them in a Catholic primary.

Berrybakecake1 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:56:07

*non-religious oops

Berrybakecake1 Mon 24-Apr-17 18:58:34

**TOFFEE catholic intake is roughly 50/50 these days as catchment areas are widened and there are fewer practising catholics.

hippyhippyshake Mon 24-Apr-17 18:59:02

Every school teaches religion but faith schools practise religion. Also the teaching of religion at faith schools will give precedence to their own religion. You would have to know the school well to know whether they just pay lip service or practise full immersion regarding worship etc. If it's a good school I'd be surprised if a non-catholic child got in unless they admit on percentages. E.g. Catholics 90%, non-Catholics 10%.

BarneyRumbleton Mon 24-Apr-17 19:02:28

My children attend Catholic school being Catholics and sex Ed and science are taught normally. DS is in year 10 and has covered consent, abortion and the full range.
RE takes the faith stance, which in primary school is mostly liturgy and learning about the faith but as they progress through high school involves questions of morality, which they debate.
They do learn about other religions but it's very little. I think a few weeks a year are given over to it.
They are taught kindness, compassion, charity, humility and acceptance, and don't have to do the sacraments if they don't want to. However they will be expected to attend mass with school a few times a year.

Neverknowing Mon 24-Apr-17 19:04:44

I went to a Catholic school and everything was exactly the same as elsewhere. In fact I got a lot better sex ed than my partner.
Also, catholics believe in science so there wouldn't be any difference there. I don't think schools are allowed to teach science wrong or they lose funding.

GplanAddict Mon 24-Apr-17 19:06:11

At the catholic primary that my non Catholic children attend, they have a week of awe and wonder twice termly which is where they learn about a different religion. I've been very impressed with the level of detail and the respect they give the other religions.
Sex ed and science is the same as any other school. I've found the catholic school feels less religious than the c of e one they used to attend. I'm no longer invited to church all the time, although the children go a fair bit I think!

rednsparkley Mon 24-Apr-17 19:16:37

berrybakecake 50% non Catholic - crikey - not in any of the Catholic schools near me. My four attend a Catholic primary which I did not apply for (being an athiest and all that) but was allocated when applying for No1.

No2 got in no problem on the sibling rule but in order to get No3 in I had to get them all baptised (needed it also for HS application).

It very much depends where you are wrt demand and supply I suppose. But round here you'd have virtually no chance of getting in as a non-Catholic nowadays. My No1 got in 7yrs ago and it's much harder now.

PotteringAlong Mon 24-Apr-17 19:18:29

berry my DS attends a catholic school and the intake is 100% catholic.

AnneElliott Mon 24-Apr-17 19:29:48

In DS' school science and sex ed are taught the same ( although sex is always referred to as being within a marriage).

Ours have 5 prayers a day, liturgy lessons, a termly mass for each year and other masses involving the whole school.

They are not allowed to say stuff like 'Jesus Christ' as an exclamation and those who do have consequences.

The priest also comes to hear confessions from year 4 upwards so it is quite a full on thing!

However, they don't do hymn practice (which I did at a CofE school) and they don't have a daily assembly.

However, I'd question whether you'd get in. Our school only takes practising Catholics as they are so over subscribed.

Shamoffour Mon 24-Apr-17 19:43:32

My dc are at a Catholic school and we are Catholic.

I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't catholic it's quite full on. Our school will not take any child that is not christened. There is a tiny percentage of non Catholics but they are usually a different religion.
Prayers are four times a day, mass once a month, lots of RE and assembly 3 times a week in the hall or in the classroom on the other days.

Sex ed is similar however they do not discuss contraception or abortion (primary school) we were told in the parents meeting re sex ed class that any questions about condoms/contraception wouldn't be answered and they would be told to ask your parents as they couldn't deviate from the church's position so would leave it to us to decide what to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now