Talk

Advanced search

3 year old socially isolated??!

(7 Posts)
mummytogorgeousness Wed 08-Feb-17 21:27:25

Hi, does anyone have any opinions/thoughts or experiences. I have twins who turn 3 next month. One of them is a regular tantrum thrower and at times aggressive with other kids. He has been at nursery for a year and his teacher says he is becoming socially isolated due to not picking up social cues (ie if a child doesnt want to play he keeps trying) and hitting when he wants a toy. What can I do to help with this? And how much can a child so little have social problems? I asked the nursery worker if i should get him checked out and she said no but says the other kids dont want to play with him. They seem so little and it makes me feel like a reallt crap mum. Any advice appreciated x

Amaried Wed 08-Feb-17 21:32:29

Think he is not even 3 yet. Honestly socially isolated!!
I'd work with him at home to help develop these skills but worry at this age I'd definitely not

Strix Wed 08-Feb-17 21:34:19

It's not you. Kids come in all shapes and sizes. And I don't think is particularly helpful - if not down right rude - for nursery worker to so no need to have him checked just saying no one likes him. What are you supposed to do with that information?

Floggingmolly Wed 08-Feb-17 21:34:41

The nursery sound rubbish

mummytogorgeousness Wed 08-Feb-17 22:00:37

So should I just work with him at home and ignore what nursery says. My twins seem happy at nursery but I do get the impression my more aggressive boy drives the nursery workers up the wall and has a reputation as a 'hitter' there now...

Shallishanti Wed 08-Feb-17 22:03:42

I agree the nursery sounds rubbish. They ARE the social setting, they should be addressing it, you can hardly coach a 3 year old in social skills out of context

insancerre Tue 14-Feb-17 18:20:49

The nursery sound a bit hopeless
They should be teaching them how to socially interact

I always look first at the environment when children misbehave as often it's a reaction to their environment, including the emotional environment and the attitude of the staff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now