Talk

Advanced search

Being fined for taking my three year out of nursery!!

(24 Posts)
user1486495324 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:30:37

Hi

I wanted some advice, we are going on a religious holiday and we requested holiday from my 3 year old sons nursery which is in school. (So he will be missing one week in half term and 1 week term time- he's only attending am)

Today we received a letter back from the school saying they are disappointed and will only authorise 1 day as religious and the other days we are being fined for!! angry

Are they legally allowed to do this? As compulsory school age is 5.

Some advice on what to do next would be great!

leccybill Tue 07-Feb-17 19:33:10

I don't think they are legally obliged, no.

He won't be 'missing' half term, everyone is off then.

LostMyDotBrain Tue 07-Feb-17 19:33:19

I very much doubt it as schooling isn't compulsory at that age. That said though, I use a private nursery, not a school nursery, so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Feb-17 19:38:38

I've never heard of a nursery fining anyone. Surely nursery is optional unlike school. You would normally tell the nursery about holidays rather than ask for permission

Ilovecaindingle Tue 07-Feb-17 19:40:08

Fines are proved unenforceable when the law only states kids must attend school regularly. .
Yours isn't even in full time education ffs!! Tell them April fools is way off. .

HoneyDragon Tue 07-Feb-17 19:40:27

If they do a compulsory shutdown for Cmas and Easter bank holidays they are also raging hypocrites wink

GreenSpaghetti Tue 07-Feb-17 19:42:07

I use a school nursery. Time off is classed as unauthorized absence but as far as I know can't be fined as, as already mentioned, they're not legally required to be in school. I always think its pathetic to even class it as unauthorized but there you go

user1484539497 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:42:24

No they aren't allowed, that's ridiculous. My son goes to a nursery in a school and misses at least one Monday a month (more if ill), I've never said why or asked. Primary and Junior receive attendance records/letters but nursery dont. It is not compulsory.

It's not compulsory so they don't have to go. Very cheeky actually as they are still receiving funding!

meditrina Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:42

In a state school that is against the law, which allow fines only fpr pupils of statutory school age.

raindripsonruses Tue 07-Feb-17 19:47:01

Is this a private nursery - are they charging you for the period rather than fining you?

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Tue 07-Feb-17 19:49:08

Have they issued you with an actual 'fine' or are th saying you still need to pay for these days?

littleducks Tue 07-Feb-17 19:50:38

I thought it was the Local Authority nor school who imposed fines. What is the wording? Are the referring it to Local Authority or asking for x amount per day.

Could someone in the office have accidentally copied and pasted bit about fining? So that would only normally be sent to older children? And your son will just have an (unnecessary imo) unauthorised absence

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Tue 07-Feb-17 19:51:39

Oops x post!

MixedGrill Tue 07-Feb-17 19:53:24

I suspect they have put your name into the wrong standard letter,

kkaur Tue 07-Feb-17 19:58:24

Thanks for all the replies, glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks it's wrong!

I've got a letter from the school who say they have spoken to the schools governing body and asked me to refer to the attached letter which says about term time absence and how they apply the same rule to everyone in the school even if they are in nursery.

The letter attached says about taking time off and being fined for it.

MixedGrill Tue 07-Feb-17 20:03:37

Ignore it.

However, as it is not compulsory for your child to be in nursery, I would check whether they can offer your place to someone else. Our school filled the place from the waiting lists if parents kept kids off on unauthorised absence for more than 10 school days.

leccybill Tue 07-Feb-17 20:04:29

Ha, they can refer to anything they like, but until compulsory schooling age, there's no obligation at all.

daisydalrymple Tue 07-Feb-17 20:07:52

Contact your LEA for clarification, maybe ask for a copy of their policy on this, which can demonstrate it is legal for them to fine parents when the child is under five.

Parker231 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:12:08

Ignore it - all you need to do is to let them know that DC won't be at nursery from this date to that date.

StarCrossdSkys Tue 07-Feb-17 20:19:28

It's nursery. You don't need to request holiday. Just tell them at pick up on your last day that he won't be in next week. No explanation necessary.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 07-Feb-17 20:20:57

Totally ridiculous.
He's not studying for his GCSEs and missing a vital part of the curriculum.
Are they worried that he might fall behind with his sandpit skills?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 07-Feb-17 20:23:20

No, they absolutely can't fine you!

I'd second the suggestion it's just a standard mass-produced letter.

Ignore!

MirandaWest Tue 07-Feb-17 20:28:09

Schools wouldn't normally do the fining would they? It would be the local authority - and would you be fined before having the time off?
Which LEA is it?

kkaur Tue 07-Feb-17 21:52:03

Yh technically it's only 2.5 full days they are taking off!

I'm going to get some advice from the lea aswell as school. I think I've got a good case so they can't fine me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now