Talk

Advanced search

The ideal pre school .....

(12 Posts)
geogteach Wed 21-Feb-07 13:31:28

What would you want?
We are getting a new build and are starting to think about what we require, anyone care to suggest what they would like / not like if starting from scratch?

SNOWBall4girlz Wed 21-Feb-07 13:35:40

lucky you
well seeing as you asked

soft play
quiet area
separate place to eat
few quality toys instead of lots

wet +sand play and painting tc
big noticeboard for parents

will go away and have a think
x

geogteach Wed 21-Feb-07 15:37:33

Anyone else?

happystory Wed 21-Feb-07 15:42:22

Nice well-stocked book corner, with beanbags etc to lounge around on. Those big colourful rugs with towns, road maps on, can be sat on and played on. Area (think they are called Tuff spots) that can get as messy as you like, with clay, mud whatever. Agree attractive area where parents/carers can mingle whilst waiting to pick up, with eye-catching displays and noticeboard.

chatee Wed 21-Feb-07 15:47:07

outdoor access- as in an extended class room that the children can use as and when they want to...
accessible for physically disabled (many places we went to visit were crammed with that much stuff that our dd who used a walking frame wouldn't have been able to use it!!-we did find one in the end
a reception area large(and within view of baby buggies)so younger children do not have to be out of sight whilst collecting pre-school children

is that enough to start with?????

HEIFER Wed 21-Feb-07 15:51:00

Somewhere I can leave DD for a little longer than 2.5 hrs!....

DD preschool has the above stuff - and an indoor climbing frame (apparently never seen it myself)...

Whoooosh Wed 21-Feb-07 16:01:41

Large outdoor space with ride on toys and a vegetable patch.

Lazylou Wed 21-Feb-07 16:07:21

If money was no object, then I would say a sensory room, with lights and bubble tubes etc. I think they're wonderful and have worked in nursery before that had one. Absolutely wonderful, especially if the LOs are driving everyone mad!

peanutbutterkid Thu 22-Feb-07 20:56:33

Child size toilets. Straightforward access from toilet area to main room to the outside.
Good size "quiet" area.
Access to outside most of the time (double doors that can be left open).
Shade outside (awning).
Fenced off outside area.
Decent size, Indoor foyer for parents to wait in.
Adult loo separate from kid loo.
Lots of storage space.

DD went to a purpose built nursery and it was how I describe. I imagine the kitchen and staff loo were a bit small, but otherwise I thought the building was great.

Adult loo had loads of funny postcards on the back of the door

NorksBride Thu 22-Feb-07 21:12:58

As peanut says, plus an office for the supervisor/can double for first aid.

We have a big disabled loo that also has a pull-down baby changing unit in it - it's a good use of the space.

Wall-mounted boards/frames etc for displaying childrens work.

Nice big direction-giving signs outside (once stood outside the wrong door at a pre-school for 20 minutes waiting to be let in)!

sinclair Mon 26-Feb-07 20:15:56

What a marvellous opportunity!

Our DCs went to a lovely 'standalone' pre-school ie not attached to any primary. It is based around 3 areas - garden, pool, and what we call the room, the inside space, and the children are allowed to self select activities and roam where they like - tho the pool sessions are obviously more structured. the idea is that children can explore and discover the 6 areas of the curriculum in an environment that they choose - and the outside space is a much used learning resource and not just a playground for break time.

The pool makes it very special and I assume costly to build, but the children really love it. DD was inside mostly and DS more of an outside child - both came on leaps and bounds during their time there.

Butkin Wed 28-Feb-07 23:10:30

Our DD (4 today!) has been at Nursery since she was 6 months old. The outstanding things have included:

Indoor swimming pool (used from Easter to October) where she has passed her first two swimming certs.

Grass paddock with plenty of play equipment and gardening area for planting etc.

Safe gravel area for Winter out door play.

Child size loos (with saloon style swing doors), and sinks plus a hot air dryer - better than towels.

Well stocked library.

Great choice of clean toys and plenty of storage for teachers to get out different types of toys.

Separate office/accident room

Variety of rooms for different ages but with one central dining room type area with little round tables and chairs.

Kitchen with ways of heating lunches etc.

Outsourced learning ie. Spanish (from 3), music teachers, ballet etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: