Talk

Advanced search

Pre school/nursery question

(8 Posts)
Voddy4 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:15:39

Hi

My ds is currently at nursery 1 day a week while I'm at work he's now 3 so moving to the pre school room from September and also increasing to two full days a week.

Is two days preschool enough? I'm concerned this won't prepare him fully for school which he will start Sept 2017 but also enjoy our days at home with him.

Any help and experiences would be welcome.

Thanks

fryingtoday Fri 22-Jul-16 21:17:42

Mine went for five mornings a week and towards the end I also got her to do classes in the afternoon so she gradually got used to the routine. But in reality it probably makes little difference. You only get this time with your little one once - savour it!!

Voddy4 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:21:53

Thanks it's the routine side of it I'm thinking about but is that not what reception class is for I.e. Getting them into the routine then? He's a summer baby so will only be 5 and a couple of months when he starts. I'm just torn between wanting him to thrive at school and also being mindful of a) paying for him to be out the house even more when we are at home I.e. Don't need childcare every day and that it's only one more year before he goes to school full time but also don't want to hinder his education!

Voddy4 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:22:38

Sorry 4 and a couple of months when he starts!

HSMMaCM Sat 23-Jul-16 09:55:02

Remember, they don't have to go to preschool at all. You are right that reception year is to prepare them for school.

Pre school is good for learning to share, negotiate, be a bit independent, etc, but you might be doing all this yourself anyway.

Voddy4 Sat 23-Jul-16 19:05:11

Thanks for the reply, very helpful

I am trying to get a bit more structure to the day to slowly prepare for when he has school full time, we'll work on sharing!

Littlefish Sat 23-Jul-16 20:31:55

2 whole days a week is absolutely fine. Enjoy your days at home, they're so important! (I'm a nursery/pre-school teacher).

Voddy4 Sat 23-Jul-16 21:38:43

Thank you for the reassurance! I was tempted to ask this question with his nursery but wasn't sure if with a cynical mind I thought they may suggest to up the days to get more money!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now