Talk

Advanced search

How can I help I daughter start talking properly?

(11 Posts)
BoredHouseWifee Sat 11-Jun-16 14:43:37

My daughter is just over 3 & half, 4 in September & she still hasn't "switched on" with her talking. She can talk, she can say looooads, she can say short sentences some she can say properly others she gets a bit wrong. But she still sounds very babyish. Someone I went to school with posted a video of her son talking (he was born the month before my daughter) & his speech is much better I know all kids develop at a different rate but she's getting soo bloody frustrated because she can't communicate properly then I get frustrated because she just keeps repeating over & over & I don't know what she means.
Is there any ways I can help her at home? It's not so much words that are a problem, she copies words easily. It's just helping her to get to that "switched on" stage where they can just suddenly talk.

insancerre Sun 12-Jun-16 08:33:01

Ask for a referral to the speech and language therapy service
Some areas have drop in s where you can just turn up,
Does she go to nursery? What have they said?

BoredHouseWifee Sun 12-Jun-16 09:03:13

Someone suggested having her ears tested so I'm gonna do that then I'll have a chat with the doctor or health visitor see what they suggest.
She's been going to preschool since January but she doesn't talk or make eye contact because she's really shy. They said she was getting better but then they had 2 weeks off for Easter so that set her right back again. She's under observation for that but their not reviewing until she goes back in September

Ilikesweetpeas Sun 12-Jun-16 09:09:20

I would definitely get her hearing checked and ask your GP / health visitor to refer to speech therapy. She may have a sudden spurt and progresss rapidly but always best to get on the waiting list! apart from that make sure you have daily time playing with her, listening and talking to her on a 1-1

insancerre Sun 12-Jun-16 09:16:21

A hearing test is a good idea
Here is a useful website for checking your child's language development
www.talkingpoint.org.uk/ages-and-stages/3-4-years

BoredHouseWifee Sun 12-Jun-16 09:43:31

Thankyou insancerre that link helped. It suggested speaking to health visitor so I'll get her ears checked just incase, mainly just to rule it out because I believe she can hear perfectly & then will take her to see health visitor see what they suggest

originalmavis Sun 12-Jun-16 09:47:38

Get her singing! It sounds daft but she will be practicing sounds and using her voice and having a bit of fun too.

Be patient, so don't finish off sentences or ask 'yes/no's questions. Have speech radio on at home in the background. Encourage her to speak to people outside and loads of praise.

insancerre Sun 12-Jun-16 09:52:42

No worries
Sounds like a plan
I've referred a few children to salt (I work in a nursery) and early intervention can make a huge difference

uhoh1973 Tue 21-Jun-16 14:11:04

Our daughter was born with various stuff including glue ear and an expectation of speech problems (luckily this has not been realised).
Definitely get her hearing checked. If she cannot hear it is hard for her to know how to speak so this is step 1.
We were also strongly advised to minimise background noise (TV and radio). Do not have either on all day. If you want to watch for 30mins fine but don't have it on all the time. If she is struggling with hearing background noise will make it more difficult for her.
Lots of patience, singing nursery rhymes etc. Get down on the floor and play with her, sing etc etc.

MiaowTheCat Wed 13-Jul-16 18:56:27

Kind of marking my place as DD2 is similar - still got quite immature speech.

First thing you're going to have to do anyway is get hearing checked - in our case we know DD2's hearing is OK as we got a referral for that done a while ago. I think in her case it's just that she's got a bulldozer older sibling who likes to talk for the entire country so she's never really had the need to get talking that much and work on her speech clarity - I'm hopeful that it's beginning to resolve itself and when bulldozer big sis moves on to school in September (they're very close in age) DD2 will have to speak up for herself and it'll catch up - she's definitely very loud and chatty when her sister's not around - it's just immature speech.

uhoh1973 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:28:43

This is good point. Sometimes older siblings dominate the conversation. Try to make sure everyone gets a turn to speak and are not interrupted. If I ask a question I try to say the child's name at the start to make it clear who I am expecting a response from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now