Talk

Advanced search

Sudden stutter at age 3?

(15 Posts)
uhoh1973 Fri 10-Jun-16 13:27:10

DC2 has just turned 3. He is outgoing and happy. Recently he has become more clingy when I drop him off at nursery and today it took me 15mins to get away and in the end the girl had to drag him off me :-(.

His vocabulary is very good (he has DC1 who is very eloquent to learn from). In the last week I have noticed that if he is rushing himself / anxious he is struggling to speak fluently. He is repeating the same word and struggling to find the next word. If DC1 interrupts him he shouts 'I am trying to speak!'. It has come out of the blue.

DH had a very bed speech impediment as a child and right into his mid 20s. He has improved in the last 5 years but sometimes still finds speaking on the phone difficult. DC1 was born with a condition that included the possibility of speech problems but has been cleared as 'ok'. Given my husband's struggles this was a huge relief (especially for my husband).

So the question is for any speech therapists out there; is this kind of repetition common for small children (esp boys?). DH says it is. Should I do anything about it or just encourage him to take his time, not interrupt etc?? I am starting to get anxious myself!!

I posted this on the SN board but got no reply so maybe some other pre-schoolers have had a similar experience?

HSMMaCM Fri 10-Jun-16 20:23:05

It wouldn't do any harm to speak to a speech and language therapist. Many children's centres have drop in clinics.

It can sometimes just be a developmental thing where they are in such a rush to get all the words out that they trip over them.

However I'm also wondering if he's upset about nursery because someone there is telling him to be quiet because they are talking ?

TwoWeeksInCyprus Fri 10-Jun-16 20:30:51

There was another thread about this recently,bin the Children's Health topic

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childrens_health/2615319-Sudden-bad-stutter-in-2-5yr-old

Jeffjefftyjeff Fri 10-Jun-16 20:32:18

I am no expert but in case keeps this active- my ds (now 9) has had successive episodes like this. Normally happens when there is a big change (move house, start school) and a lot to take in. Also had good vocabulary at a young age. Never seen a speech therapist as lived overseas when first happened (2.5) and told quite normal; not to rush him or correct him etc. Sure you know all this. We are now back in the uk and he v occasionally stutters but remains a confident outgoing child.

uhoh1973 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:35:48

Thanks for the link TwoWeeksInCyprus that really helps. It seems like when he is playing and talking to himself its alot better. Lets hope it disappears as sudden as it appeared!

Meandyouandyouandme Fri 10-Jun-16 20:58:13

My DD2 was like this when she was at school nursery, so was probably around four. Suddenly stuttering and couldn't get her words out. The nursery staff said that it was fairly common , it's their brains being too quick for their mouths do they struggle to get the words out. We just ignored it, and it went away after a while, she's now 15 so can't remember his long it lasted, but she's never had another problem with her speech. Though we are lucky if we get more than two words out of her now!

Meandyouandyouandme Fri 10-Jun-16 20:59:59

*so and how long.

Sorry, I did proof read!

cheapandcheerful Fri 10-Jun-16 21:00:05

It is completely normal and coincides with a developmental leap in their speech and language. Both of mine did this at around age 2.5. Dd1 used to get stuck on the first sound in a word (e.g. da-da-da-da-da-daddy). Sometimes she would spend up to 30 seconds saying the first sound of a word and often it would happen more than once in a sentence.
Dd2 was different, she would get stuck in the middle of a word (e.g. daaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaaa-addy).
I spoke to the health visitor about it with dd1 as I was a bit concerned but she assured me that it is very common. She advised ignoring it, not interrupting to correct or finish the word/sentence for her. It took a lot of patience but apparenyl to draw attention to it makes it worse. They both grew out of it within a couple of months.

uhoh1973 Fri 10-Jun-16 21:15:36

Oh wow thanks. I hope you guys are right. I have read the stuff on the internet which says don't draw attention to it, slow down your own speech and try to keep things not too frantic. I blame myself for the latter - I am always trying to squeeze stuff in and rushing about so will try to give us more time. Many thanks for your help.

Meandyouandyouandme Fri 10-Jun-16 22:05:46

Well we all rush about so don't blame yourself. Chances are it will go away on its own accord.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 10-Jun-16 22:17:59

I agree. It's fairly common for the age group. DC2 was premature & late to speak so we used to see SALT regularly. She asked how DC1 was one day & I asked about the same thing. She said exactly what meandyou nursery said about them thinking faster than they can speak. Sure enough when DC2 eventually did start talking the same thing happened. DC3 turned 3 in Feb & she's just started doing it too.

DC1 does now have a tic but the GP has said the 2 aren't connected & that it should start to improve by her mid-late teens.

wallywobbles Sat 11-Jun-16 04:56:12

It's also common in left handers when they start writing and they see everyone else being right handed. They try right handed too but it impacts speech. Don't know why, but it passed quickly.

Bananice Sat 11-Jun-16 05:28:48

We are just starting stuttering treatment for DS, who is 3.5, next week. He was assessed six months ago and the big factor for him receiving treatment is that, although it is mild, he has stuttered in much the same way as your DS since he could talk. As pp have said, I wouldn't worry if it has only just started - just keep note of how long it lasts and if it persists, maybe seek help

uhoh1973 Tue 21-Jun-16 12:08:25

Thank you for all your posts. I have self referred to speech and language therapy. We will have to wait about 3 months to see someone.

In the meantime we are in a quandry as to what to do about nursery. He started saying he didnt want to go to nursery about 3 weeks ago (say 2 weeks before the stammering started). It is a very small nursery so all ages in one room. He is very friendly with a girl who is 1 year older than him and they enjoy imaginative play together. DH wonders whether the girl (who is bright and articulate) is running rings (speech wise and mentally) around DS who is struggling to keep up. We ask him why he doesnt want to go to nursery and dont really get a straight answer other than low grade complaints about the girl is not sharing with him. She will move onto start school in september. The nursery staff say they cannot see anything wrong happening and he is reasonably happy but agree he is not his usual self.
He used to have a nanny (up til January) 2 days a week plus nursery 2 days a week. He seems very happy with the nanny and less inclined to stammer. We had to let the nanny go for financial reasons.
Should we reduce his time at nursery if this is stressing him? He could start at the local pre-school (where he will ultimately go to school) but this is mostly boys who are (mostly) less articulate than DS. We have tried a couple of play dates with one boy but DS got frustrated as the other boy just clung to his mothers leg for the duration.
DS is quite young for his school year so physically a bit puny compared to some of them. Would starting a new pre-school also be stressful for him? Arrggg!

Mrkidzeal Wed 29-Jun-16 11:15:58

Natural Therapy methods that attempt to cure stuttering to minimal state in an individual

kidsfront.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now