Talk

Advanced search

Preschool homework?!

(13 Posts)
thescruffiestgiantintown Wed 08-Jun-16 22:31:20

We have started looking at preschools for DD. She will be 3.5 when she starts. We looked at one that gives the children worksheets to complete at home - apparently they're optional, but I imagine that if other children are doing them...

I was impressed by what the kids are doing there - quite advanced writing up on the walls, for example - but this all seems a bit hot housey to me. She's my first child so maybe this is normal, or would it put you off?

BossWitch Wed 08-Jun-16 22:35:58

That would put me off massively. It's so unnecessary - and seems like the sort of thing introduced to appeal to pushy parents, as opposed to for any educational benefit.

Numbkinnuts Wed 08-Jun-16 22:42:07

Hell no ! Shouldn't be any formal teaching at that age - learning through play. Definitely no homework.

Ditsy4 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:47:30

I would look and ask questions regarding creative play.
Art materials , clay, plasticine, water trough, sand tray, texture collages.
Books
Out door equipment
Garden
Qualified staff- level 3 minimum in charge

Developing fine motor skills will develop writing skills. Not keen on homework other than bring your favourite toy/ book.
I have worked in lots of nurseries.

insancerre Thu 09-Jun-16 17:49:17

I wouldn't be impressed by work sheets and writing on display
I am an early years teacher and no way would I be teaching children to write before they had developed a correct pencil grip and developed the muscles needed for writing.
I actually think the nursery hasn't any idea of child development and school readiness

thescruffiestgiantintown Thu 09-Jun-16 20:35:31

Yes, there were a lot of excellent creative play stations throughout the nursery too - it had a lovely feel, kids seemed extremely happy and engaged - but the homework thing did give me a really odd feeling.

I should add that it's a preschool attached to a primary; it gets excellent inspection reports and the parents I know of children there speak highly of it, so I don't think it's a terrible place. I do think it might be very pushy though. DD is very bright but also prone to be anxious and I certainly don't want school to be a stressful place for her.

BertPuttocks Thu 09-Jun-16 20:43:12

It would put me off.

Homework was definitely not normal when my children were at preschool. My youngest is is Reception, so not that long ago either.

Loulou2kent Thu 09-Jun-16 20:47:36

Just for another spin on this....ofsted are really pushing working with parents & working on next steps together. Even as a childminder myself I've been told by ofsted it's good practice to give little work sheets to parents to do with children. Or activities. It's all about sharing resources & doing things at home. I'm sure it's not essential & the nursery will understand completely if parents or children don't want to do it. But it's a big plus point for nursery to show ofsted that they offer this. We are recommended to send stuff home about topics we may be working on in the setting so the parents feel involved & can expand on things we do.

KleineDracheKokosnuss Thu 09-Jun-16 20:50:24

If it was a worksheet in the sense that it was an idea for an age appropriate experiment or fun game to do at home, I'd be OK with it. But not for 'schoolwork'.

thescruffiestgiantintown Thu 09-Jun-16 20:57:18

That's interesting loulou. No, they were definitely proper worksheets - one was about colours and shapes but the other was addition. Well, I think we'll probably steer clear. The main upside is that it's coed so DS could go there too in time whereas the other one we're considering is all girls. But I'd rather have the right place for each child and more faff than put them both together in a stressful environment.

Pico2 Thu 09-Jun-16 21:07:14

I'd be wary of a school giving homework other than reading, spellings and times tables to children in reception or KS1 as there isn't evidence that homework actually helps. So I wouldn't be keen on preschool homework at all.

There are other ways to collaborate with parents. As a start, sharing information about the topics being covered and how parents can incorporate things into everyday life.

Loulou2kent Thu 09-Jun-16 21:15:18

I agree Pico, there are other ways & I don't send worksheets home. I just make comments online so parents know what we're doing with our days etc.

There are schools that start homework in year 1 & some reception, but by year 2 they're all doing the same anyway.

Learning at that age should just be through experience, play, days out with family, routines etc.

But there will be a market for these early start school work places as there are some parents who really want this for their little ones.

I'm sure you'll do what's best for your children OP. You know them best & know what would make them happy smile

Justmeagain78 Thu 09-Jun-16 21:27:32

We give optional individually tailored home activities to the older children at our preschool. Things like going around their house finding things that begin with a particular letter, a Biff and Chip book at the appropriate level and pen control exercises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now