SAHP - what to do before preschool

(6 Posts)
gglndn Wed 09-Mar-16 19:43:25

My lo is just about to turn 1 and I'm going to be at home with him rather than in nursery. We go to lots of activities and groups and he is doing really well with his milestones although I am aware that the time is fast approaching when he would start learning at nursery (although he is at home). As a SAHP what resources are there? Are there training courses to go to or books with a loose curriculum and stages? I would love to do a course of some kind, or are there any consultants of some sort who could put together a loose curriculum for you?

Windyone Wed 09-Mar-16 19:49:22

If you are in the UK most children don't start formal nursery aged 1. They may go to childcare before that, childminder or private nursery. The best thing you can do is just play with your child and take them to any local toddler groups that are available. No need to follow any curriculum.

HSMMaCM Fri 11-Mar-16 09:27:45

You can google EYFS to see what the milestones are, but you'll almost certainly find you're covering it all already.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Fri 11-Mar-16 09:36:24

Just play with him honestly. Get out and about - to the park, shops, soft play, toddler groups, swimming. A sandpit and something for water play are great - could just be a clean washing up bowl and a plastic jug. Talk and sing to him. As his fine motor skills develop then some art supplies will be useful - eg crayons and paints, play doh.

I'm sure you're doing a great job. No need for courses or a curriculum. smile

SatsukiKusakabe Fri 11-Mar-16 09:48:02

My dd is 2, and I am a sahm. As she is my second, I have realised how much more relaxed about what I'm doing with her, as you realise, as above poster said, everything is a learning experience for them. I'll list some things we've done regularly over the past year, their ability for play really kicks off at 18 months,nome won't be appropriate yet, but gives you an idea. Some days we just scribble, sit and play with cars or dolls etc, and that's good too!

Here's some of the stuff we do on a typical week:

We go to the park
Play hide and seek
Make dens out of blankets, cushions
Read books (rhyming ones and lift the flap kinds are great for one year olds, mine both loved Spot, Julia Donaldson's Acorn Wood series, Dear Zoo etc)
Visit the library
Go to the shop and talk about what we're buying
Playdough with shapes (now she's older, she enjoys helping to make it too)
Baking
Small jigsaws
Orchard games are good for colour and shape matching, counting. Mine love Shopping List'
Crayons/chalks/finger paints
Washing up
Pretend cooking
Dressing up
Helping mummy with laundry, making sandwiches, sweeping, vacuuming etc
Toddler group occasionally
Foam letters in the bath
Listen to music, dance, sing

BoboChic Thu 24-Mar-16 22:49:52

Lots of little stories, nursery rhymes, songs and poems. Reading to your DC is great but CDs and DVDs are a fantastic resource too as little DC love a lot of repetition.

An easel, paper roll and lots and lots of stickers are great for developing fine motor skills and don't make a mess smile

Go to the park and playground often and use all the equipment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now