Another child keeps hurting dd1 at pre-school.

(4 Posts)
imwithspud Fri 26-Feb-16 19:19:51

There is a child at my dd's (3) pre-school who she seems to be becoming frightened of. There have been two occasions that I know of where this child has hurt dd, first time by putting his hand in her mouth and scratching the inside of her bottom lip and more recently today when he scratched her face and left two visible scratch marks on her cheek. The pre school recorded the second incident in the accident book but I don't think they realised the first one has happened. She has also been complaining of a 'sore bum' and pointing to the area where it hurts which was the front area iykwim. I asked her why it hurts and she said it was because this child hit here there. She was moaning/almost crying tonight because her 'bum' seemed to be hurting her so much, we went to a play area this afternoon where she fell awkwardly and hurt in between her legs which I don't think helped but I didn't know this child has apparently hit her there beforehand. It's difficult at this age to tell if they're 'playing on it' so to speak but she seemed genuinely uncomfortable and sore. Hopefully it will be better in the morning.

She keeps saying things like "I don't want [child's name] to touch me today" I ask where he touches her and she says her face. "[child's name] was chasing me" "I don't like [child's name]". It seems as if this child can be quite rough and she is getting quite scared of him now. I've asked her if he's like this with other children and she said yes and that he takes toys away from them and chases people.

What I'm wondering is when does it get to the point where I need to speak to her key worker? And will they be able to do anything or keep more of an eye on the situation? I know to an extent children of this age can be a bit rough, some rougher than others and my dd is quite gentle natured and not violent at all but like I said she seems to be getting quite worried about this child and what she might do to him next. I have told her that when ever he does something she doesn't like to tell one of 'the ladies' as she calls them at her pre-school straight away, or to shout "stop it [child's name] I don't like that". She's my first child and I'm not sure what else I can do to help her.

Any tips/advice would be great.

OddBoots Fri 26-Feb-16 19:22:47

Speak to them now, I am sure they would be happy to keep an eye out.

imwithspud Fri 26-Feb-16 19:26:19

Thank you OddBoots I was definitely thinking about doing that. Just wasn't sure if I was being precious or not.

LostInMess Fri 26-Feb-16 19:35:02

I'd ask now too - the beauty of preschool is that there are better ratios so staff can keep an eye out more. I think you've given her good advice on what to do and I'd just tell staff what she's said and ask them to monitor it - they should be able to tell fairly quickly if there's a problem or not, especially if other children are having the same issue.

Hope it gets sorted for your DD soon. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now