Talk

Advanced search

Can preschools be flexible

(7 Posts)
Sarahrose83 Sun 14-Feb-16 08:34:22

Hello I currently work shifts as I am a midwife so completely different only do two a week. Does anyone know of preschools being flexible at all? Thanks
Sarah smile

StitchesInTime Sun 14-Feb-16 08:51:54

Generally pre-schools will prefer children to be booked in for the same days each week.

If they have the kind of flexibility it sounds like you need, then they have to keep a space free for child A 5 days a week, when child A is only there on 2 (varying) days a week. That means for 3 days there's an empty space that another child could be using. Plus potential staffing issues if they have to employ extra staff for children who may or may not be there on any given day.

I think only a pre-school that was under-subscribed would even consider this. Unless perhaps you're talking about a private nursery, but they would probably want you to pay for 5 days a week if the days needed varied a lot.

Sarahrose83 Sun 14-Feb-16 12:18:23

Thanks I already thought that just someone told me some are flexible. He wouldn't be attending full time just two afternoons a week

Sarahrose83 Sun 14-Feb-16 12:20:21

It's difficult if you work shifts mine start half 7 till 8 at night I do two a week. And can't get set days only for temporary period. So I understand what your saying but doesn't apply to Nhs workers

Emmpp Sun 14-Feb-16 12:31:21

I don't think nurseries are flexible, they need to keep the ratio between kids and adults and need to know how many kids will attend.
I would try childminders or nanny share.

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Feb-16 14:19:20

Private day care may be more flexible than preschools. The one my DD goes to accommodates various shift workers and a lady who is cabin crew and works 2 weeks on/2 weeks off.

BackforGood Sun 14-Feb-16 17:56:30

It will depend upon their demand for places - if they are fairly full then they can't turn away other dc if you aren't going to use the places (unless you pay for all the hours he isn't attending), obviously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now