Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth mentioning this to pre school or will they not really do anything with the information anyway?

(3 Posts)
Cloudybutwarm Mon 18-Jan-16 17:17:41

Ds is 4. He goes to a lovely preschool (ofsted outstanding, v popular, both seem justified to me) , he's been there for just over a year.

They have one of those online mpg things where they can post observations of what your child has been up to, they don't do it that often, maybe every couple of weeks, but it's always nice to see. However the observations always leave me scratching my head a bit eg the latest one said he was sat looking at pictures in a book, pretending to read, knew how to use a book, turned the pages the right way and seemed aware that the print on the pages were words. All great you might think, except he CAN read. Give him a reasonably basic book and he will be able to read 90% of it by himself.

We've had ones before about numbers where the next steps would say things like 'work on learning numbers bigger than 10' again this is a boy who can count to nearly 200 and do basic adding and subtracting.

I have mentioned it before and got a bit of a brush off. It's not like I'm expecting them to do anything particular with this information, after all he's mainly there to play, but it just seems they're not REALLY watching him if you know what I mean.

I don't know whether to say anything again or just leave it. Do they need to know this? He loves his time there and that's all that really matters to me.

caravanista Mon 18-Jan-16 17:20:15

Definitely worth talking to them. So much information at this age comes from parents and can help create a much fuller picture of a child's skills.

HSMMaCM Fri 22-Jan-16 09:49:47

If it's online can you add parents observations / feedback ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now