Talk

Advanced search

11yrs DS "doesn't get" fiction books

(4 Posts)
printmeanicephoto Fri 07-Aug-15 09:24:25

My DS will be moving up to high school this Sept. He is bright - got a level 6 in maths and 2 x top level 5s in Reading and SPAG in his SATs. However, I am trying to get him engaged in fiction over the hols and he reads a few chapters of an age appropriate book and he always says "mum, I don't really get the book" and gives up. He is now happily reading a Tom Gates book which is peppered with little pictures throughout. He says he likes books with pictures in because it's easier to follow the story. He's always preferred non-fiction. He doesn't seem to follow stories very well - although he has always been ahead for reading and finished the school reading scheme. I'm confused. Is this something I should investigate further?

printmeanicephoto Fri 07-Aug-15 09:28:52

Sorry posted in wrong section - MN can you move to primary or secondary education?

Atalanta Fri 07-Aug-15 09:29:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZetaPu Fri 07-Aug-15 09:40:53

Sounds like my ds!
Mine has always preferred non fiction and I've found it hard to get him engaged in fiction.
I started reading to him again. I'd read half a chapter of a book and get him to finish the rest of it. I hoped that he would get into the story and carry on reading it.
It worked sometimes.
The only book he has really enjoyed recently is Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver (I think)
Another suggestion is trying shorter books to get him back into fiction.
ds2 is reading a series called Switch which is about kids being turned into insects or something so it contains some non fiction elements that appeal to them.
I also let them choose whatever they want from the library. Ds1 is drawn to zombie and horror.
Apart from that, he loves reading the 'turn to p5 if you want to run away, or p6 if you want to fight the monster' type of books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now