Talk

Advanced search

Thinking ahead or way too early?

(7 Posts)
blueskygreengrass Thu 06-Aug-15 09:53:49

Hi everyone,

I'm due in December with our first baby. DH has got it into his head - from friends and work colleagues - that we should already think about registering for nurseries, and even primary schools. This seems bonkers to me, the child hasn't even been born, but then again - is he/they right? I have no idea.

Grateful for any advice, Mumsnetters. I went to playgroups, state nurseries/school, whereas he was educated privately - so I feel like I have a lot to learn about the different options but also, does he need a reality check? My mind is on pregnancy and birth first!

Thanks all x

ceeveebee Thu 06-Aug-15 09:57:44

Private preschools, prep schools- yes you probably do.

If you're planning to return to work then yes you may need to register at day nurseries early, sometimes there is a waiting list

State - you can't put names down until they reach appropriate age.

odyssey2001 Thu 06-Aug-15 13:14:54

Regarding nursery, if you are planning on starting early and know which days you need, start looking now and get your name on the list or you may be left with either a) a lesser nursery with the right days or B) the right nursery without the right days. The early bird catches the worm.

Nothing you can do about state school for ages. Not sure about private.

MiaowTheCat Thu 06-Aug-15 13:54:10

Depends on the area - my DDs go to a small preschool and I signed DD1 up in the May - and they were pretty close to being full for the September/October starters then (they stagger their new starters). This year they filled up even quicker - DD2 got signed up in about the November (but that was mainly as I was in and out every day so could pick up the forms in a more organised fashion). There are places around here who still have spaces for the funded 15 hours - but (more by luck than good judgement - it was simply where I hit it off with the staff better) we're in the better-regarded setting locally which does fill up.

You can't do much about state primaries until the set dates for the required year's application round to go in (should all be on your local authority website).

blueskygreengrass Fri 07-Aug-15 08:49:46

Thanks ceeveebee, odyssey2001, MiaowTheCat - that's all really helpful. I can start getting my head around these things. So much to learn! Unfortunately I was recently made redundant, so I don't have a permanent job to return to early on. The likelihood (and very rough plan) is that I'll go self-employed, perhaps with some supplementary part-time work. I'll look into the different offerings nursery and primary, in the meantime.

LooseSeal Fri 07-Aug-15 09:03:48

You can't pre register for state primaries, however I wish I'd known more about the admissions criteria before school became a reality. You can find out which primaries you are in catchment for, how far away from the school the last place allocated last year was and what the ofsted report for the schools say.

I found out far too late that I live in a primary no mans land, and was advised that I wouldn't get a local school at all and that DD would probably end up in a village school three miles away,(I don't drive.) By the time I knew all that it was far too late to consider moving. Very forntunatly a local school did a bulge year (60 children instead of the usual 30 intake) and DD just squeaked in there, but that was sheer luck.

Cheshirehello79 Fri 07-Aug-15 09:48:57

I was actually thinking of the pre- school registration and nearly went to an open day in July one near my town but thought it was bonkers and some were saying stop jinxing yourself. I'm going be single parent so preparation is key and looking to return to work just as smp only kicks in that's after 36 weeks.

Not thought about primary school yet. I was educated privately and hope for the same in forthcoming child but doubt I can afford it but the thought is there. They can't start primary till 3 anyways and in my case having dec( late baby) it's the year after so probably will look into that when baby is around 2?

I'm looking to move as well at some point so it's all up the wall at present but you've got me thinking now .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now