Talk

Advanced search

Phonics - What's the best?

(8 Posts)
Manoxlon Thu 30-Jul-15 13:38:32

Hi, getting to start my dd on phonics in the next couple of months. I have checked out a few options - eg jolly phonics - and wanted some ideas/ feedback on what other (and better) products might be available? Thanks!

Jellypudmum Thu 30-Jul-15 13:43:35

Check out Mr Thorne dies phonics on you tube. He uses pure sounds which is the agreed me this used by most schools.

Jellypudmum Thu 30-Jul-15 13:43:53

Does not dies. Oops

RoganJosh Thu 30-Jul-15 13:45:44

My first thought would be to ask which method your school uses. Unless you're planning to homeschool in which case ignore me smile.

catkind Thu 30-Jul-15 21:59:06

Mish mash of whatever free stuff they enjoyed here. Alphablocks, jolly phonics songs on youtube, Teach Your Monster to Read, all great for showing them the basics in a fun way. But mainly just reading books and messing around with letters together when they showed an interest.

Why is it you want to start phonics? If it's coming from your child's interests, how do they express that interest and can you follow up by taking it further in that direction? If not coming from the child then I'd not want to do more than offer a bit of something casual like the above and see if they latch onto it.

When they had got the hang of basic blending and segmenting, we did get a couple of sets of phonics books to go through at home. Our favourites were the Julia Donaldson songbirds books.

Manoxlon Fri 31-Jul-15 07:19:09

Great idea on Julia Donaldson, I've seen that. Thanks!

StompyBlueNose Fri 31-Jul-15 07:31:50

How old is your dd?
I have been going through the jolly phonics workbooks (the colourful ones with the stickers) and she absolutely loves them!

odyssey2001 Sat 01-Aug-15 13:19:53

I would avoid songbirds to begin with. They get very hard very quickly and you will end up helping far more than you should, which renders them pointless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now