Talk

Advanced search

Uniform at nursery, yay or nay?

(17 Posts)
catlass Mon 06-Jul-15 13:36:48

DC1 starting at a nursery attached to a school in September. Uniform can be worn in nursery but it is not compulsory. DC typically has no preference lol. Is uniform more practical?

FernGullysWoollyPully Mon 06-Jul-15 13:39:28

Personally it's a huge yes from me. Having had 3 dc go through nursery already, I made the mistake of thinking my eldest wouldn't get dirty hmm his clothes were ruined and ever since they had the uniform.

Buttercup27 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:39:45

I would, it saves normal clothes from being covered in paint/gloom etc. It doesn't matter how hard staff try to make sure children wear aprons they still get messy. Especially if they accidently put a messy apron on inside out!

Chancewouldbefinething Mon 06-Jul-15 13:40:23

From experience 'yay'. Can be bought so cheap from supermarkets,are hardwearing and eliminates any battles over what clothing to wear any particular day

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 06-Jul-15 13:42:44

Oooh I'm a dissenting voice smile

I enjoyed dressing ds in lovely bright colours & styles, he's got a lifetime for the drab uniformity of uniform smile

EsmetheWitch Mon 06-Jul-15 13:44:35

If you have the time and energy to deal with the extra laundry I would say no.

Children have years of uniform wearing at school and then, as adults, most will have to conform to a dress code at work. I like seeing what my 3 year old considers appropriate dress for preschool. grin

I hated uniform as it means I have to wash and iron it!

I'd much rather send him in Primark tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt and I'm not spending Sunday nights washing uniform.

FeelingSmurfy Mon 06-Jul-15 13:51:05

Uniform means no arguments in morning over what to wear, if you do go with uniform stick to it every day

ShelaghTurner Mon 06-Jul-15 13:58:51

We have a nursery T shirt but dd2 rarely wears it. I just don't send her in anything I'm particularly bothered about and actually she always comes home clean. They're very good with aprons etc.

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 06-Jul-15 13:59:02

We bought 2 of the school jumpers for dd and were given another 2 so from a laundry view it wasn't a problem, but we didn't put her in full uniform just the jumper. She hasn't worn the jumper for a few months since it's warmed up and I'm not going to bother now for an extra 2 weeks. I wouldn't bother buying uniform again for nursery

Littlefish Mon 06-Jul-15 22:21:01

About 50% of the children in the nursery where I work wear the uniform shirt/sweatshirt.

If you decide not to go with the uniform, please make sure you send your dc in clothes which are practical, easy to remove for the toilet, and don't matter if they get muddy or covered in paint.

In spite of repeated requests and regular reminders, I had children turn up today in:

An all-in-one shorts playsuit with buttons down the back
White jeans
Sparkly silver shoes
Jeans with a belt
A white dress
4 children in shoes with laces

etc. etc.

catlass Tue 07-Jul-15 07:55:23

Thanks all! I think we've decided to send her in normal clothes as like some previous posters said they have the rest of their lives to wear a uniform. I will though stock up on some easy to put on herself clothing with velcro etc for autumn wardrobe.

MiaowTheCat Tue 07-Jul-15 17:33:04

Ours has one and I quite like it - the uniform is just a stipulated colour of top and jumper though so you can whack it on with leggings or trousers or whatever works easiest (I tend to just use the supermarket very soft jersey type school trousers as they're grey and hide the muck better than brightly coloured stuff).

Just means everyone sends their kids in sensibly dressed with stuff that they're not going to go ballistic if they get a spot of paint on it - which knowing some of the school gates crowd - they would do.

mrsmortis Thu 09-Jul-15 12:42:41

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets - What is this ironing of which you speak? Nothing that my DDs wear for school needs ironing as long is it is not left in the washing machine for ages after the wash has finished. Modern fabrics are brilliant for that. I don't understand why the washing is an issue either. It's not like there are any more clothes to be washed than if they weren't in uniform.

My DD2 is in the school nursery at the moment and for her it was very important to be in uniform. She'd been desperate to go to school like her big sister and wearing uniform was a big part of that.

I like the fact that there are no arguments in the morning too.

ItMustBeBunnies Sun 12-Jul-15 13:03:58

My DS starts preschool this September and I've just bought him 6 t-shirts and 2 jumpers in the school colours (no logos). My reasoning is that it starts him in good habits and we won't be fussed when they get covered in sand / paint / glue / mud etc.

M&S were very reasonable and have a sale on at the moment. Certainly cheaper than his 'regular' clothes.

isittheholidaysyet Tue 11-Aug-15 16:01:20

nay, uniform is impractical, uncomfortable and boring (usually!) and he has the rest of his life to wear it.

However, I would strongly recommend 'nursery clothes' which you don't mind getting wrecked. (whether they be cheap stuff you buy, second-hand bits you weren't too keen on, or the lovely t-shirt he was given for his birthday which you don't want him to be seen dead wearing!

mrz Thu 13-Aug-15 08:47:03

I think it depends on the uniform. Most if our parents choose to send their nursery child in "uniform" which in reality means they wear a sweatshirt or cardigan in the school colours over trousers/shirts/ skirt and tee shirt or summer dress. Whatever you decide make sure it's easily washable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now