Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

will you qualify for the free 30 hours?

(16 Posts)
insancerre Sat 13-Jun-15 07:59:46

At our nursery we've been told that families with an income of £150,000 won't qualify for the additional 15 hours and parents need to be working a minimum of 8 hours a a week
No details yet of how we , as a nursery, get to decide who is eligible
I'm hoping that the parents have to apply and have to present us with a letter the same way that the 2 year funding is claimed
Otherwise its going to be a nightmare if I have to ask families for this information

Littlefish Sun 14-Jun-15 23:14:02

I haven't had any details through from our Local Authority yet. I hope it will be done in the same way as the new EYPP funding ie. parents fill in a form which is submitted to the Local Authority by the Nursery. The Local Authority then checks eligibility.

I really don't think it should be down to nurseries to have to check information and decide whether a family is eligible or not.

SpendSpendSpend Sun 14-Jun-15 23:17:20

At the nursery dd is at they ask you not to apply for the early years funding as they automatically fo it for you

AndNowItsSeven Sun 14-Jun-15 23:19:31

I don't know, it depends if it the same as tax credits where if one parent is incapacitated, a carer or in prison you quality with just one working parent.
Does anyone know?

AndNowItsSeven Sun 14-Jun-15 23:31:16

These are the rules for tax credits other than the number of hours does anybody know if the rest applies with this childcare scheme. Must be in paid work of 16 or more hours a week. If you have a partner, you must both be in work for 16 or more hours per week; or one of you must work 16 hours and the other is incapacitated, in hospital, in prison or entitled to carer’s allowance.

Littlefish Mon 15-Jun-15 06:17:10

SpendSpendSpend - presumably parents have to give permission in writing for this check to happen?

insancerre Mon 15-Jun-15 07:19:57

I think spend is talking about the current entitlement
There are no checks as its done automatically by the nursery as each 3 year old becomes eligible
Our Lea may be piloting the 30 hours
I'll keep you posted as to terms of entitlement

AndNowItsSeven Mon 15-Jun-15 08:32:36

Thanks op would appreciate that I can't find anything online.

Littlefish Mon 15-Jun-15 19:07:49

Ah, sorry SpendSpendSpend, I misunderstood and thought yu were talking about the additional pupil premium funding.

Littlefish Mon 15-Jun-15 19:08:40

Insancerre - yes please, could you keep us updated about this.

insancerre Tue 16-Jun-15 06:27:54

I special keep to our early Yeats consultant today and she couldn't confirm whether pur Lea will be involved in the trial but she did say to start talking to parents about it.
I our setting we would offer the free funding as either 5 school days termtime only
Or 2 full nursery days all year round
I'm hoping it will increase our occupancy

insancerre Tue 16-Jun-15 06:29:09

# spoke to our early years consultant
Silly phone

Tanith Mon 22-Jun-15 18:50:59

I read this article at the weekend, but it doesn't seem to have been reported elsewhere. Very worrying if it's true:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/childcare-bill-contains-threat-of-two-years-in-jail-for-parents-critics-warn-10334263.html

insancerre Mon 22-Jun-15 19:20:48

My word
I could face prison if I don't find out the full family circumstances of every family in my setting?
Blimey. Draconian hardly covers it.
I'm getting very bad vibes about all of this

Tanith Tue 23-Jun-15 08:20:57

A little more information:

www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1152174/lords-criticise-lack-of-detail-in-childcare-bill

TouchOfNatural Tue 30-Jun-15 08:17:06

The 30 hours election promise is ridiculous.

- The article above shows how silly it is in that sense - absolutely ridiculous notion of that of jail

- Many settings are literally not open for 30 hours a week so parents will split care between 2/3 settings and what about continuity of care for the kids?

- the PVI (private/voluntary/independent) sector has said for YEARS that they cannot cope with the 15 hour entitlement and need more funding (private nurseries SUBSIDISE funded children heavily - the govt. never let's on about this, they are depending on the goodwill of private providers to subsidise and make huge financial losses).... They then go and DOUBLE the entitlement. !!!!??? Erm... Why???

- School based preschools get ALOT more funding allocated to them per child than private settings which is unfair and ridiculous when private settings have much higher overheads than state settings which are based in inexpensive council buildings etc.

For private settings - they will either pull put from offering any funding altogether or will go bust within a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now