Talk

Advanced search

Phonics or Traditional Alphabet for 2 YO?

(5 Posts)
LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 07-Nov-14 19:17:35

My almost 2-year-old is showing an interest in letters (inspired by the foam letters he has in the bath). Should I be teaching* him the old-fashioned letter names, or phonics?

If the answer is phonics, can anybody recomend some resources for parents who have no idea what phonics actually are?

*When I say teaching, I don't mean I'll be drilling my 2-year-old on his alphabet. More just "yes darling, S." whilst also MNing grin

Ruth10 Sat 08-Nov-14 10:00:41

Phonics. It's what he'll do at school. Letter names will confuse him when he starts. Google phonics and you'll find so much info.
Try jolly phonics to start. 'Mr Thorne' has videos on YouTube and will show you how to say the sounds properly eg sssssss not suh, and mmmmmmm not much.
And yes you definitely don't need to 'teach' a nearly 2 year old just say the sound he picks up correctly. Good luck!

JennyBlueWren Sat 08-Nov-14 14:06:47

Phonics!
I'm a nursery teacher and it is hard to teach sounds when children know letter names first. Similarly try to use lower case letters rather than capitals.

Littlefish Sat 08-Nov-14 23:37:31

Phonics, but not necessarily the actual letters yet.

Play lots of games with hearing and saying sounds in words e.g.

I can hear mmmmmmm at the beginning of mummy.
I can hear sssssssssss at the beginning of Sam.

Also, read lots of rhyming books. Stop before the last word and see if he can fill in the final word.

Clap the rhythms of words and see if your ds can do the same - start with his name, and favourite foods etc.

Do lots of activities which involve discriminating between sounds that he can hear. e.g reading an animal story and putting the wrong animal noises in to see if he will notice and correct you.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 10-Nov-14 07:49:26

Thanks everyone, I'll do a bit of reading. Like I say I'm not going to be pushing this, I just want to make sure I'm telling him the right thing when he shows an interest.

Littlefish I love those games, he'll enjoy those. Especially the animal noises!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now