Talk

Advanced search

Ds wants to learn why aren't they teaching?

(19 Posts)
MySpideySenseTickles Tue 16-Sep-14 18:37:30

Ds is getting frustrated with nursery, all summer he was going on and on about writing numbers and letters.
All they do is playing, there are pens and paper but no encouragement to do letters or anything just "marks" ds has been able to draw pictures that look like what he intended for over a year, he can write all the numbers and most letters, he can read his name and identify all the letters and numbers and count to twelve. He can even tell the time.

Would the teacher think I was being annoying if I asked them to try and challenge him a bit more? He likes to play but he's bored he wants to sit at a table and learn like he does at home.

Floggingmolly Tue 16-Sep-14 18:40:50

He wants to sit at a table and learn? How old is he?

Phineyj Tue 16-Sep-14 18:41:42

Different nursery?

MySpideySenseTickles Tue 16-Sep-14 18:57:41

He's three, he sits at his little table at home and copies letters and draws, he thought he'd be doing that at school and he just isn't.

MySpideySenseTickles Tue 16-Sep-14 19:05:05

I don't really want to change his school, he's in the best one in the area except the catholic primary which is right behind our house and would be perfect if we weren't atheists, apparently he "didn't meet the criteria for entry" and I wouldn't have let him go to mass during school times.

Anotherchapter Tue 16-Sep-14 19:09:54

Yes the teacher will think you are brng annoying.

The foundation years are for play and discovery. You should encourage him to play and explore new games, friends and have FUN. They spend years and years sat at a desk copying then years and years in work - working.

Don't be so anxious for him to be a child genius.

Anotherchapter Tue 16-Sep-14 19:10:57

They will also be doing guided discovery work. Not all leaning is done pen to paper.

Hulababy Tue 16-Sep-14 19:13:03

The thing is that at this age, and even into early EYFS at school much is child led and very much play centered. And in order to record things on the assessment grid EYFS use children need to be observed doing these things unprompted, hence why the pens etc will always be easily accessible.

mausmaus Tue 16-Sep-14 19:15:30

tbh I think the teachers should encourage him to run about and climb and get dirty/ messy play.
but do speak to his teachers.

pieceofpurplesky Tue 16-Sep-14 19:15:37

He's three. Great that he can do letters and numbers but he needs to be able to mix and play with others which is a much more important skill. The idea that he 'thought he'd be doing that at school' must have come from you. Alarm bells ring with me that he is bored with play - at three he should be role playing and using his imagination, not be bored. He is three - let him be three ...

Hulababy Tue 16-Sep-14 19:38:47

He likes to play but he's bored he wants to sit at a table and learn like he does at home.

Surely there are pencils and paper available in the room? Therefore, if he is bored of playing then he can choose to sit at a table and write. He wouldn't need a teacher to encourage him to do this really as it is something he can choose to do whenever he feels bored surely?

Doodledot Tue 16-Sep-14 21:51:42

Am I right that he had just started school nursery at 3??? If so they will still be settling in and working out who can write their name and who has never held a pencil. It's lots of play based learning and the activities involving drawing and developing fine motor skills and creativity. They may start phonics with those who are ready later in the year. All nurseries follow EY curriculum and guidelines. If he is a studious lad then nursery will help develop him in other ways too

insancerre Wed 17-Sep-14 06:51:39

I am an early years teacher and we don't teach writing letters let alone writing numbers at 3
I would be developing his social skills and developing his creativity and imagination

PatriciaHolm Wed 17-Sep-14 09:58:09

He isn't at school; he's at nursery. Few nurseries will be "teaching" at this age in the form you mean. Nursery is about social skills and any learning that happens will be through play (eg, find the day of the week on today's board; find the sticker with your name in) not by sitting him down to write.

SweetsForMySweet Wed 17-Sep-14 10:04:00

Montessori sclool might be a better option for your ds as it is more practical learning than play based learning

rino Wed 17-Sep-14 15:23:58

I've taught in nursery and early year settings now I work with deaf children of all years. I would shout play!! This is where he will learn all he needs to know, how to communicate, co operate, problem solve, negotiation skills, plus language , mathematical and science skills and much more besides. I would definitely not ask the teacher to teach more and if I were you I would stop all that stuff at home. Baking a cake, measuring it out, reading the numbers, talking about will be much more valuable than counting up to 12. Does he have a full grasp of the concept of number before chanting. All the activities at nursery will be developing the muscles in his hand which will help with his hand writing. Also are all his letters perfectly formed, cursive or printed? A children who comes to school with incorrectly formed letters is actually very hard to re teach the correct formation too.

Never underestimate the great value of play. I would talk to the teacher and share your worries and ask her to explain all the learning opportunities going on every day in nursery. You need to relax and enjoy the journey.

teacherlikesapples Thu 25-Sep-14 06:02:41

If you substitute the word play for 'child led learning', that is what your nursery is offering. If they are following the EYFS they should be observing his interests- so they can plan & extend on them. I would ask what they observe as his interests, what they are planning for him specifically & share your observations from home, and ask how they can be incorporated into their planning.

I would however be quite concerned about a child that wasn't interested in play- because essentially, that is him having the choice to spend his time how he wants. If the provision is based on his interests, and is broad and balanced, it would be quite unusual for a child not to like that.

How do you know he is bored? Does he tell you that? Because many 3 years olds say it, even though they have been busy all day. It's a bit like when they say they have done nothing all day, just because it is too much to think about or they can't be bothered speaking about it at all.

Tanith Mon 29-Sep-14 23:42:37

This does make me sad because I see that not much has changed since my gifted DS was in nursery and having a miserable time.

Please understand, you that advocate play and following the child's interests, that this is his interest! To him it is play!

I'm in Early Years, too. Absolutely, you are right about following the child's interests, but that doesn't mean censoring interests. Why is his interest in 'work' so wrong? It's his choice and he has a right to make that choice.

A good setting should encourage his interest and build on it to introduce the rest of the curriculum. It should use his interest in learning to develop areas where he needs support. It shouldn't patronise his mother and discourage his interest just because the nursery staff don't understand what makes him tick.

HSMMaCM Sun 12-Oct-14 18:34:55

Agreed Tanith.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now