Talk

Advanced search

Waiting lists for reception

(20 Posts)
keys27 Wed 10-Sep-14 07:10:39

Good Morning everyone,

I just needed some advice if anyone has any for me please. My daughter is 4 will be 5 in April'15 she was meant to start school this month but we had to move because of my baby's health and development.

This meant I needed to reject her chosen school place which is now a mile and half away as I do not drive and my baby has chronic lung disease I am unable to get her there.

She is currently 3rd on the waiting list for her nearest school its right opposite our front door. The school had a reception intake of 182 children. Has anyone ever experienced these waiting lists and know what my chances are of her getting a place by christmas?

Also is it worth home tutoring or it is mainly play in reception? I have kept her in nursery as it is right down the road from my parents so we are staying here until we can come to some kind of resolve.

I feel very helpless and worried and any advice on this would be hugely appreciated.

FishWithABicycle Wed 10-Sep-14 07:36:20

You don't legally have to send her to school until the summer term. Starting late she will be behind the rest of the class but would probably catch up within a couple of terms if she is reasonably bright.

Because the LA offered you a place and you rejected it, they have no obligation to find you another place.

I guess out of 182 children there is a reasonable chance that some of the families may be forced to move out of the area. However, the official PAN for the school will be 180 (it's always a multiple of 30) and an additional 2 will have been forced in due to special circumstances but won't be replaced if places come free, so 2 children will have to leave with no replacement before they even admit anyone from the waiting list. Then you have 2 people ahead of you on that (though it's possible they may give up and decide to go elsewhere). The chances of you getting a place offered may be reasonable if you are in an area with a high turn-over (e.g. if there are a lot of army families who might get posted overseas). Otherwise you may be stuck till year 3 when the limit on class sizes to 30 is relaxed and they may admit her.

You really need to be on the waiting list of more than one school to be in with a chance of a solution. Surely this isn't the only school in the world you could reasonably live with? Are there other schools which are along bus-routes from you? How far away are your parents? You say you are keeping her in nursery because of its proximity to your parents - is there a school around there? Could you not use a childminder to get your DD to and from school if your other child's health is what is stopping you considering wider options?

keys27 Wed 10-Sep-14 07:52:23

Hi FishWithABicycle thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

We are on waiting lists for 5 other schools as well the next one we are 4th on the waiting list and the others we are 5th, 10th and 16th, the nearest one having the much higher intake but the others apart from one are on our bus route so I am trying all options its hard with baby being on oxygen to go on public transport especially in winter but I will always find a way.

I appealed for the schools near my parents there are two one of which is my second nearest school but I lost my appeal hearing which reading everyone elses reports on other threads its impossible to win the appeal unless the LEA have made a mistake.

We are ammitted in to hospital a great deal so I need my youngest local we can not really afford a childminder at this time but its something we could possible do when our mortgage payments go down next year.

I appreciate that she was given a school as some children was not offered but due to the circumstances I am unable to get her there.

I just wanted to know if you had any knowledge on what they would be doing in reception and is it worth me stocking on phonic books etc?

Thank you again for taking the time to post all the advice does really help.

starlight1234 Wed 10-Sep-14 07:57:13

reception is learning through play. Get the jolly phonics CD my DS loved that would be my top tip.

Hope you get a place for her soon

keys27 Wed 10-Sep-14 08:03:02

Thank you starlight I will order that off of Amazon now for her. Thank you for that hun really helps

ladybirdandsnails Wed 10-Sep-14 16:52:30

There are loads of web sites with free work sheets. The home ed board will have loads of tips. Just start some basic sounds and phonics and numbers - the rest is a lot of play

starlight1234 Wed 10-Sep-14 17:20:20

just want to add , do things that are really good for fine motor skills. play doh, drawing colouring in.

Read books. All this stuff will help instill a love of learning.

Look at Orchard games also .. I loved them for my son and they seemed to use them a lot in reception.

keys27 Thu 11-Sep-14 06:26:16

Thank you ladybirdandsnails and starlight I have written all that down. Thank you ever so much. I have kept her in nursery so she is still learning through play but I can imagine the reception toys are a lot different from the nursery. So your advice and help is so appreciated.

We had some good news yesterday she is now 2nd on the waiting list ad there are 180 children started reception so fingers crossed she will be in soon in the meantime its phonics and numbers and reading.

I will look at Orchard games as well thanks hun could give me a few xmas present ideas as well.

Thanks guys smile

HaplessHousewife Mon 06-Oct-14 13:56:01

I suspect you are waiting for the school that my DD is at as i think it's the only one of that size. Infants and Juniors on separate sites next door to each other?

If so, my DD is in year 1 and there has been no movement in her class at all since they started but there have been a few places come up. In fact one of the year 1 classes had a new boy start at the beginning of this year so it does happen.

i wouldn't expect huge numbers leaving as people move here for the school (if indeed we are talking about the same one) but you may well find that by the time the next place becomes available child 1 on the waiting list may have settles into a different school and may not want the place anyway.

Greenfizzywater Wed 08-Oct-14 20:40:18

I know it's easier said than done, but surely you need to learn to drive ASAP.

Doodledot Fri 17-Oct-14 22:16:04

How's it going op?

keys27 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:51:32

She got the place anyway just before christmas so very happy. Thanks to everyone for your support on this thread I really appreciated it that you took the time to respond and help me. Happy new year xx

keys27 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:53:58

Hi Hapless sorry for lat reply been so busy. Yes I think we are talking about the same school smile. We were very lucky got place just before xmas and she started week before they broke up. Best christmas present I could have wished for. She has a lovely teacher and with all her old nursery friends. Thank you for responding to me. Happy new year xxx

footallsock Sat 03-Jan-15 17:54:40

Great news!!

keys27 Sat 03-Jan-15 20:46:58

Thank you hun xx

setthefire Sat 03-Jan-15 20:52:03

That's great! Just wanted to say, re I can imagine the reception toys are a lot different from the nursery - they are interchangeable at my son's school, and they are following the exact same curriculum in reception that they did in nursery last year. So you probably won't have missed much at all as she's been in nursery. Hope it all goes well.

keys27 Sat 03-Jan-15 21:02:46

Awww Thanks so much hun. Wa sso relieved to have the place it was like all my xmas's came at once lol

Zephyroux Sat 03-Jan-15 21:19:12

So pleased for you and your daughter. I hope your baby is doing well.

setthefire Sat 03-Jan-15 21:23:02

Can imagine it must be a major relief. Nice Christmas present indeed!

keys27 Sat 03-Jan-15 22:25:44

Oh it was a lovely xmas present thank you smile. Baby is really good atm she turned two last week. Looking at baby number 3 now but it will be a 3rd c section so a little anxious. I am sure everything will be ok. Thanks again guys xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now