Is it ok to ask for second visit to preschool before decision?(4 Posts)
DD (now 3.3y) went to preschool from last September to March but she never really settled in all that comfortably & we pulled her out shortly before moving house. It was a very noisy, chaotic environment that just didn't suit her and going there became very stressful for her. I'm now worried about finding the right place for her this time as I don't want her in another stressful environment that could lead to her feeling negative about school.
We moved to a new area a few months ago and visited the the preschool closest to our house. We really liked it but there was a waiting list for September. Last week, they offered us a place at another location further away but we instead accepted a place at a different school. I did ask, however, if we could stay on the waiting list for the first school.
That very same evening, I received an email from the first school saying they now had a place if we wanted it. Now I don't know what to do. I think the school we accepted at would be really good for DD (3.3y), who is quite sensitive, socially reserved, scared of other kids, late to potty training, etc. The staff just seemed really friendly and welcoming and competent and, to my great delight, completely avoided labelling DD as "shy" and even seemed surprised when I said she can be quite introverted -- she warmed up to the staff and was chatting away very quickly. The only downside to this school is its location -- about a 20-minute walk from our home (we don't have a car).
The first school is a 5-minute walk away from home (we pass it on our way to the other school). I remember the staff being nice and the setting being really lovely with a gorgeous garden for the kids to run around in. Another plus is that one of the staff people there runs a local playgroup that DD has been going to, so DD already knows and likes her, which could make settling in there somewhat easier.
To be honest, though, because it was the first place we saw after moving here and it's now been a couple of months, I feel like my memory of the place is a bit foggy and I'm not sure now how it compares overall to the school we've accepted at.
Would it be ok to ask for another visit before making our decision? I don't want to seem difficult or flaky. Should I explain why I want to visit again (ie, to be sure it really is the best fit for DD)? Would this be seen as a reasonable request?
Yes I would definitely visit it again. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. To be honest, if it was then I wouldn't be keen on sending my child there. The nurseries we have used have always been very welcoming.
I'm a nursery teacher and would welcome this. We want parents to be sure that we are right for their child. Different settings suit different children. We have open "stay and play" sessions 3 times a term so that anyone with babies up to 3 year olds can come and spend time with us, ask questions, meet all the staff etc.
Thanks. I've emailed them to arrange a second visit, so will hopefully take another look this week.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.