Talk

Advanced search

Help! Advice needed on nurseries in Herne Hill - Ruskin House?

(7 Posts)
JoanneT80 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:01:25

Help! I'm moving to Herne Hill at the end of June and need a nursery place for DD in July. I've left it late but we didn't know we'd get the house! I went to see Ruskin House today but I'm really not sure. I keep crying over the thought of leaving my baby (she'll be 1) and I want somewhere perfect. I've seen some negative comments on Ruskin House but these are old so does anyone have any recent feedback or know anywhere good in the area?

CathyOrla Fri 16-Jan-15 15:32:36

Hi there I am also considering Ruskin House for my 2 year old in September - does anyone have any recent experience of this nursery??

CathyOrla Fri 16-Jan-15 15:33:22

Hi I am also thinking of sending my son to Ruskin House - does anyone have any recent experience of it?

JoanneT80 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:48:34

We didn't move to the area in the end. Have you looked around Ruskin House? My views are old as I visited in the summer but I really wasn't impressed with the staff. Dd loves the nursery she's at now and they love her...so now I know what I wanted.

LoveMyK Wed 28-Jan-15 23:28:10

Don't send your children to Ruskin House School if you can help it. I sent my 1 year old there in oct 2014 only to be told 9 weeks later a member of staff had mishandled her and two other children, one child was lifted by his wrist, and my daughter was lifted by the back of her clothes, brought half way across the room and put face down in a cushion, the police are currently involved, what was alarming more so is that it took a bank staff member to report it before it came out, the existing members of staff saw nothing wrong with the treatment and so didn't say anything about it till asked. I did notice my daughter took very long to settle in beforehand, I thought something was wrong but put it down to the new experience for her (as she was only 9 weeks in at the time), never again will I give any nurseries the benefit of the doubt. To give a balanced view my daughter did learn while she was there so it couldn't have been all bad, I wouldn't recommend a nursery without CCTV though, as then no one is able to see what happened exactly and the staff member in question is claiming stress as they all do in those circumstances. I had paid for the next month in adv (as you do) we decided to remove our daughter as observing her we could see she had been too traumatised, the nursery refused saying it should be 2 months notice but for good will they would waiver 1 month. So you pay pretty much a mortgage per month for your child to be looked after, your staff possibly traumatise your child for life, do not tell you till 4 days later that it even happened and then we now have to go to small claims to get our money back. On the last day we didn't even get a 'bye' from management. I don't recommend this nursery at all.

Bellatrix28 Tue 04-Aug-15 00:11:45

I'm not aware of the above incident but my daughter has been at Ruskin for two and a half years now and we're largely very pleased with it. The staff have really nurtured her confidence, she has learnt loads and I've found the place generally well run with management always happy to listen to feedback and new ideas from parents - there is a parent forum for exactly this purpose. I was pleased to be struck at the forum at how much the other parents liked the nursery too. It's not perfect and there's of course areas that could be better but they do seem to work very hard to keep improving.

Nasmin123 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:49:45

I just wanted to check what the latest was in this situation. January 2015 is a year ago and the nursery appears to have got 'outstanding' from Ofstead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now