Talk

Advanced search

Special needs or additional needs?

(11 Posts)
ourhouseonthehill Thu 27-Mar-14 06:22:40

Can someone clarify the definition between special needs and additional needs at the age of two please? l think my child has additional rather than special needs but l would like other peoples opinion of what the difference is - thank you (btw lm not adverse to either - would just like clarification on the difference)

jellybeans001 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:40:11

I think it's the same thing to be honest

Geneticsbunny Fri 28-Mar-14 18:41:38

I agree with jelly. As far as I know people just use which ever terminology they prefer.

starfishmummy Fri 28-Mar-14 18:59:55

I have noticed ds's headteacher (special school) is now using "additional needs"

level3at6months Fri 28-Mar-14 21:29:59

Ofsted are not allowed to use special educational needs as a term any more - it's additional needs all the way. Same thing in a more pc way, I guess.

wishicouldstopworrying Sun 30-Mar-14 19:13:41

So what is going to happen to the acronym SENCO?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sun 30-Mar-14 19:15:31

I'm not sure there is a difference tbh although it is possible to have some additional needs without having a specific diagnosis of something, is that more what you mean?

LittleMissGreen Mon 31-Mar-14 12:45:51

SENCO has already become ALNCO at a school.

LittleMissGreen Mon 31-Mar-14 12:46:04

'our' school, not 'a' school

BackforGood Mon 31-Mar-14 23:56:19

There's not an educational or medical difference, it's just preferred terminology.
Special needs is like that. As the terminology evolves some people get a bit het up about other people then using an older term. It's only about the word though, not the level of difficulty a child has.

Whatsthatnoise Fri 04-Apr-14 09:59:14

I dont think there is any difference. I always described dd as having additional needs until she was about 4.5, know I tend to say she has a disability. I don't really know why. I consciously never used special needs because her needs are not special just different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now