Talk

Advanced search

How did you pick your DC's Nursery?

(5 Posts)
scarlettlips Tue 04-Oct-11 15:35:43

I want to send DD to nursery or at least put her name down.

But i'm not sure how to go about 'finding' a nursery. Any tips on what to look for.

TIA

scarlettlips Tue 04-Oct-11 21:16:21

Bump

Toobluntforboss Tue 04-Oct-11 21:20:38

Do you mean nursery school or daycare nursery? If nursery school we got a book with all local (non private) schools and their admission criteria from the council the year before they were due to start. Was very useful and meant you could plan which ones to visit etc.

scarlettlips Thu 06-Oct-11 13:07:17

DD is only 7 months so daycare nursery. Just interested in how one goes about it all!

Barbeasty Sat 08-Oct-11 19:36:53

Our council had a list of nurseries, or you can do a search on the Ofsted website based around your post code (or any location you want)

We don't have any for under 2s within 4 miles, and those were in the oposite direction from DH's commute, so we looked along the routes he can take to work. I am split between offices 50 miles apart so it was less of a consideration.

We read the Ofsted reports for the 2 nurseries that were both about 10 miles away on that route, got the prospectus for one (one advertises heavily and has fab website- it's part of a chain of 3, the other has an ultra low profile), and arranged a visit.

Before visiting DH and I discussed what was important to us, including opening hours, and made a list of questions/ things we wanted to see.

I have to say that when people say that a huge part of it is instinct/ gut feeling it really is true. One just felt right, the other felt wrong although neither of us could tell you why.

I asked on here and netmums for anyone with experience, and as luck would have it met someone at a local group whose nieces had gone to the one we liked, and they loved it so much she was sending her twins there.

4 months on we are really happy, DD loves it and we are confident we made the right choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now