Talk

Advanced search

Pre-school wobble - help, please

(4 Posts)
SalmeMurrikAgain Wed 14-Sep-11 11:38:35

I feel a bit embarrassed posting about this as I know everyone goes through it, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated:

DS is 3 years 2 months old and has just started pre-school 5 afternoons per week. He is an only child and prior to this was at home f/t with DH, therefore although he is a sociable child he is also quite shy and has had limited contact with other children. It is very early days, but he is getting upset when DH leaves him at preschool and saying that he doesn't want to go (seems ok on pickup thus far).

We are hoping he will settle and will stick with it, but I am conscious that 0-15 hrs p.w. is quite a big jump, and he is one of the youngest children in a group of 12-15. DH really has to go back to work p/t in March (we run out of money every month on my wage alone), but I was wondering whether, if he doesn't settle by, say, end of this term, whether dropping to 3 days p.w. might be an option, then building back up in time for DH to return to work? Or is this just postponing the inevitable unnecessarily?

Any similar experiences and opinions welcome. Thanks.

ladyintheradiator Wed 14-Sep-11 20:53:05

March is a long way off - personally I think starting with 2 afternoons and gradually building these up will be easier on you all. 2 afternoons until October half term, 3 till Christmas, 4 till Feb then the full week?

That said it is really early in the term and he will probably settle in fine given more time.

Meteorite Wed 14-Sep-11 22:15:11

Can you chat to the staff about this? I'm sure they will have heard similar questions many times before.

Lilyloo Wed 14-Sep-11 22:19:42

I work in a preschool , i would be very surprised if this is still an issue come next March.
You really need to give ds a few weeks to re adjust. If he is happy on pick up thats good. Does dp ask the staff how long it takes ds to settle after he has left ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now