Talk

Advanced search

Nursery school opinion?

(4 Posts)
horto Sat 20-Aug-11 13:28:16

Hi everyone! Haven't been here before but I was hoping for the opinion's of a few mum's please. I am a Nursery teacher (Montessori) and I have always wanted to open my own, very small Nursery school. I am now in a position to do this. To make it work, it needs to be slightly different to other Nursery schools and I am not sure if the differences will put parent's off:

It will be Montessori based yet also based, a great deal, on nature, self sufficiency and spending a huge amount of time outside growing, exploring, learning forest skills, etc.......will mum's be put off by the thought of their children getting cold, wet, very dirty? or by the risks of accidents or of eating what the children have grown? or by the price of good outdoor clothing? or by not knowing enough about the Montessori method?

Also, to make it work finincially (not to make money! But I do need to make a wage) and due to the day plan of the school and trips to the forest, farms, etc; The school needs to have one session per day running from 9.15-2.15. During term time only (38 weeks). I don't want to feel like I have to rush the children to fit the day's activities into just three hours. I have taught in classes where time is very limited and I want to enjoy my class time not clock watch and to be able to let the children do things in their own time. But will this long session put parent's off? It does also make the grant much more simple; three days covers the 15 hours! No top up and still two days at home to do other things!

Finally...feewwww! nearly the end of my loooong thread! The school will be small! less than 10 children and another member of staff with me. Is this too small for parents? It means that we can do so much more!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any opinions, ideas on the school or advertising it (I know that this is my weak point) will be great! Thanks you!

sproingle Sat 20-Aug-11 20:59:57

No issue with the getting cold wet or dirty. I like the idea of trips out. If I chose your nursery I'd know this in advance and would hope you could tell me what you do IF a child gets too cold or very wet etc. when out.

No issue with term time only, many nurseries do this and can recruit.

I'd like to see the option to have 2.15pm - 4.15pm offered as a creche afterwards to help those who work in schools (who will be looking for term time only care) This could be paid extra and not offered as a funded place for ease. So long as a snack is offered it could just be quiet play time for a bit and suitable TV for a bit.

10 pupils is fine by me.

My main concern with only 2 staff is what happens if either of you are ill. I'd expect a nursery to find cover staff.

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Aug-11 21:06:52

ok... well for me it would be fantastic! and i also know other parents who would love it.
(if it's near me then ds3 will deffo go!!!)

i think you're limiting yourself to stay-at-home parents, because those that work may well need a lot more flexibility... biut then i guess that's the same with any term time pre-school type place?

what will lunch be like?

i defintiely think that there are a lot of parents out there very keen on the montessori method who will be willing to travel for a good montessori nursery, which will be in your favour.

(are you in the south easT?)

thisisyesterday Sat 20-Aug-11 21:08:37

also with regard to getting wet/dirty as long as you say that children will need waterproofs etc i think you'll be fine.

OR, you could have some sets of all-in-one waterproofs that you can use and keep at nursery?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now