Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know about early years entitlement in Wales? DD is 3 in Sept and goes 3 days a week to private nursery.

(7 Posts)

She turns 3 in Sept, so does not get an actual place at nursery school until Sept 2012 and won't go to FT school until Sept 2013 when she turns 5.

Atm, she goes Tues-Thurs full days to a private nursery who have told me that from January they will reduce our bill for the 3 days so she gets 2 hours a day free, plus she can also attend term-time only on Mon and Fri mornings for 2 hrs if we want.
This was our understanding but then they tell us that from Sept 2012 she won't get the funding as she can then take up her place at a pre-school and still come to the private nursery after that.
Problem is, I work FT and have no way to get her from pre-school to nursery so we were intending to keep her in nursery until she starts school FT as the nursery she goes to is very good.
However, her not getting the funding from Sept 2012 was a surprise to us. We had assumed that once she got it in january 12, she would keep it until she went to school as she wouldn't be taking up her pre-school place at the local school.

Is this correct? If so, we'll have to suck it up but we'd done our sums based on her getting the funding from Jan 2012 to July 2013 (termtime of course).

chrisrobin Thu 11-Aug-11 10:05:28

Yes, that sounds right. Once a child is old enough to go to pre-school they are not eligible for the funding, at least that is what I was told at my DS's meithrin.

Ah thanks for that - not what I wanted to hear but hey ho.

I'm going to do some investigating into whether anyone offers pickup from school and drop off at nursery for a small fee everyday - much cheaper than paying for nursery for the full day I guess.

Doesn't really support parents who want/have to work FT does it!

Graciescotland Thu 11-Aug-11 10:14:57

My sister was in the same situation and a childminder with a son in the same preschool agreed a nominal fee for pick up and drop off on the basis that she watched DN outside of term time for preschool hours.

Please make sure you have an emergency backup in case of sickness etc.

chrisrobin Thu 11-Aug-11 10:19:58

Yes, sorry, its not great is it.

I agree it's rubbish for parents who work FT. One of the CM in my area walks children between the school and the nursery (or vice-versa if children are on afternoons only), taking them home for lunch in the meantime, perhaps that's something worth investigating?

Hope you manage to get something sorted.

mrz Fri 12-Aug-11 13:56:13

www.powys.gov.uk/uploads/media/EY_Parents_Groups_Spring_2011_en.pdf

mrz Fri 12-Aug-11 13:58:17

The Welsh Assembly Government wishes to ensure that all parents and carers in Wales can have access to free part time early years learning for their children from the beginning of the term following their third birthday.

Where can my child access this provision?

Funded Early Years education can take place in a variety of approved settings.
Providers include playgroups, Cylch Meithrin, day nurseries and schools.

All providers must meet and adhere to a set of criteria, including staffing ratios and qualifications to ensure that wherever the provision is, the quality and the learning opportunities are similar.

Funded early years places can only be accessed in settings that are approved as funded providers.

Parents and carers may choose to send their child to up to 2 approved settings, provided there is a place available.

Each qualifying child can receive up to 10 hours per week of funded Early Years learning. A child may be able to access more hours at the same setting but this will incur a separate charge by the provider, to be paid by parents/carers directly to the provider.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now