Talk

Advanced search

should I take my son on hols during term time?

(6 Posts)
alinosa Fri 22-Jul-11 20:09:24

Hi, my son got a place at nursery at a good school, starting in October. That doesn't mean he'll get a place at reception next year but we live really close to the school. I have booked a 3 week holiday to go to South America to see my family after Xmas, so he'll miss about 2 weeks at school. I read an article about taking your children out of school to go on hols in today's The Times and am really confused...Should I tell the school in advance about my holidays? can they say no? will I have to pay a fine? can this holiday lessen our chances to get a place in the school next year? we booked this holiday about 4 months ago, thinking that it was just nursery, so it would ok....help!

MegBusset Fri 22-Jul-11 20:11:51

It's just nursery, he won't miss anything by not being there a couple of weeks - enjoy the last year you don't have to pay school holiday prices!

PandaG Fri 22-Jul-11 20:12:03

the preschool I work in wouldn't bat an eyelid at a 2 week holiday in term time, it is not school but pre-school. please do tell the setting, am pretty sure you won't need to do any more than that and enjoy the holiday!

PandaG Fri 22-Jul-11 20:12:35

and it should not have any impact at all on school place.

Hassled Fri 22-Jul-11 20:15:41

Yes, tell them in advance out of politeness but no, there's nothing compulsory about pre-school education. The fines etc is for repeated absences in much older children - don't panic. He'll learn so much in South America in any case.

alinosa Fri 22-Jul-11 20:43:40

that's great, thank you for the replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now