Talk

Advanced search

Oh God, I am a horrible pedantic cow

(8 Posts)
Pinkjenny Wed 20-Jul-11 08:50:22

Dd went to the safari park last week with her nursery class. When I picked her up yesterday, she showed me a picture they had coloured in, entitled 'Look what I seen today!' When I went in for ds, the nursery owner was in there, and I showed her the picture and pointed out the poor grammar. I was laughing, but also a bit serious iyswim, it is supposed to be a preschool setting.

This morning, when I dropped her off, her carer, who is very young and absolutely lovely, apologised for the poor grammar, and said that she had written it.

I told her not to worry, and that it didn't matter, and it was totally and completely mortifying. I feel terrible now.

TryLikingClarity Wed 20-Jul-11 08:53:35

A wee bit pedantic, but poor grammar is poor grammar!

I'd be a touch blush too if I were you in that situation, but don't worry now.

Pinkjenny Wed 20-Jul-11 08:55:37

I really must learn to zip it. She is so lovely <<wails>>

Indith Wed 20-Jul-11 08:56:52

I'd probably have done the same grin. I honestly don't mind people speaking in that way, I think it comes down to accents and regional variation and children will pick up the correct way of speaking so long as they hear it elsewhere (and then ruin it all when they get older and it is seriously uncool to speak properly) but written English is not the same as spoken and should always be correct.

HoneyPablo Wed 20-Jul-11 09:01:49

I work in a nursery and I am always pointing out people's mistakes with grammar, spelling and punctuation. I can't stop myself, even if it is the manager.
My favourite was the learning journey brought from a rival nursery by the parent of a new child. In it was a lovely photo of child using a real stethoscope during play.
The caption underneath read, "Little Johnny is using the st___________ on his friend. Thye couldn't spell it, so had just written the first 2 letters and left a blank space where the rest of the word should have been.
I nearly wet myself.grin

Pinkjenny Wed 20-Jul-11 09:13:43

Yes, we are near Liverpool, so grammar isn't a priority when speaking! She just looked so embarrassed. Was it really necessary to tell her it was me?

Pinkjenny Wed 20-Jul-11 10:02:37

Now I feel like I need to buy her flowers or something!

pregnantpause Wed 20-Jul-11 11:41:52

My dd starts nursery in September and I have had to refrain from sending the information letter back, with all 14 grammatical and spelling errors highlighted. I understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now