Talk

Advanced search

Nursery staff shouting at little boy

(13 Posts)
Stay123 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:08:59

My son who has just turned 3 goes to the local nursery. One day I had a call to say he was ill and that I should come to pick him up. It was about 12 and I came immediately. When I arrived I stood in the opening of the classroom and the staff didn't see me. Some of the children have a nap at this time and a lady was trying to get one of the boys to sleep. She was absolutely screaming at him and he was crying and was very upset. She was shouting "I have this every day from you" and generally just screaming at him to go to sleep. I approached and she saw me and obviously stopped shouting. I acted as if I'd seen nothing which I admit was quite cowardly, pick my son up and left. There was another member of staff there who was clearing away the lunch things and seemed unconcerned by the behaviour of the staff. I know I can shout at my kids but I have never heard anything like it before. I haven't mentioned it to anyone and my son still goes ot the nursery 2 mornings a week and that member of staff still works there and is all smiles for hte parents. I feel very uneasy about what I saw and would like to know what anyone else would do in this situation.

Guadalupe Wed 13-Jul-11 16:25:40

I would make an appt to see the manager to discuss it. Actually screaming at him? Hardly going to send him to sleep is it. Poor thing.

Guadalupe Wed 13-Jul-11 16:32:04

and I would be worried that the other member of staff seemed to think it was fine. Was she junior to the shouting carer?

uninspired Wed 13-Jul-11 16:36:45

Agree totally with both of Guadalupe's posts

DuelingFanjo Wed 13-Jul-11 16:39:30

When did this happen? how long has it been on your mind for? The longer you leave it then the less likely you are to say something. If you feel it was wrong you should say something.

Hullygully Wed 13-Jul-11 16:40:10

wot guadelupe said

thisisyesterday Wed 13-Jul-11 16:44:23

you need to speak to the manager straight away

Pootles2010 Wed 13-Jul-11 16:48:25

Yeah you need to discuss with manager. I'd be expecting serious disciplinary tbh, along with proper protocol overhaul.

If isn't taken seriously I guess ofsted would be next port of call?

Very upsetting though.

Hopefully someone who work in nursery might be along to give advice.

Hulababy Wed 13-Jul-11 16:51:13

You need to speak to the manager and report this behaviour. It is most definitely not acceptable. The behaviour of the other staff member needs reporting too - not stepping in and stopping her was wrong of that staff.

Sadly there are some people in all jobs who shouldn't be. Sounds like these two women shouldn't be in childcare.

Meglet Wed 13-Jul-11 16:56:23

Agree with the others. Manager then if you have to, Ofsted.

I've rarely seen the staff at the DC's nusery raise their voices, certainly not shout or scream.

Dozer Thu 21-Jul-11 20:54:36

Do something for sake of the dcs in there.

needanewname Thu 21-Jul-11 20:59:47

I would speak to the manager immediately. How is your DS when you drop him off there? As I think I would also be looking to change nursery.

friley Fri 19-Aug-11 13:46:09

This is something you should speak up about - talk to the manager. A raised voice can be appropriate but your description of events shows a loss of professional control. You dont know if this is the tip of the ice-berg raise it and you wont have any regrets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now