Talk

Advanced search

EYFS Grades - what do they mean?

(7 Posts)
FactsAndFigures Sun 03-Jul-11 20:27:19

My Son has just received his development folder from pre-school and the back page is split into the 6 key areas with a "phase of development" grade for each one - which are letters e.g. E, D-E or D. I've googled this to try and understand the grades but can't find it anywhere! I'm not worried as I'm happy that he enjoys pre-school and has fun whilst he's there, but I am a bit curious as to what they mean! Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

2anddone Mon 04-Jul-11 17:56:59

Not a clue and I am a deputy supervisor at a preschool! I understand why it is split into 6 key areas, this is because they are the areas of the EYFS that we try to cover before school, however I have never known a grade to go with it. Maybe it is the preschools way of knowing how much he has covered so far (how old is he?)

CombineArvester Mon 04-Jul-11 18:02:20

Could it mean 'developing' and 'established' as in he is developing this particular skill or his use of pencil or whatever is established?

primaryschooladvice Tue 05-Jul-11 20:46:47

grades for children going to school are 1-3 not alphabetical so the best bet is to ask the preschool

FactsAndFigures Wed 06-Jul-11 21:42:10

Thanks for your replies, I think CombineArvester your suggestion 'developing' and 'established' could be correct. I spoke to the Pre-School Manager who said that a grade G or 'Goal' is the stage they should be at by the end of the Reception year!

She also said that they're removing the grades from the pupils folders from September as it causes too much confusion, ummm yes it would if there's no explanation of the letters for parents to understand!!

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 13:45:57

Pre school children are assessed against developmental matters not the profile so should not be given a numerical grade.

I don't think there is a standard grading system

but some schools use

Emergent
Developing
Secure

mrz Sat 09-Jul-11 13:54:46

www.leics.gov.uk/progress_summary_for_baby.pdf

www.leics.gov.uk/progress_summary_-_isabella.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now