Talk

Advanced search

How does funding for 3 year olds work at a private nursery?

(9 Posts)
Phoenix Fri 01-Jul-11 11:04:04

My son isn't 3 til next July so wouldn't be starting until September 2012 but I'm confused about private nurseries. My older son went to a pre school that did 2.5 hour morning and afternoon sessions and that was just nice to get him settled in, starting 2 days a week then building up to going all 5 mornings. Can you just do 2.5/3 hour sessions at a private nursery or do you have to stick to their morning/afternoon sessions (ie 8am-1pm or 1pm-6pm)

I would ring the nursery but I'm not brilliant at talking on the phone and I don't want to sound too thick blush.

Is it too early to be starting to think about putting his name down now? I know you can put names down for a school nursery after their second birthday but the private nursery is closer to ds1's school so would make drop off's a bit easier so would prefer him to go there.

Phoenix Fri 01-Jul-11 15:49:24

Bump smile

Tillyscoutsmum Fri 01-Jul-11 15:53:47

I would imagine you have to go to a whole session as presumably they are structured as a whole session so joining part way through or leaving before the end would mean your dc would miss things ? It may vary from nursery to nursery though, so its worth checking.

With regard to putting their name down, again, it would depend on the individual nursery. For example, the pre school in our village has a long waiting list and both of my dc's had their names down when they were in the womb ! It certainly can't hurt to get their names down early.

BlueArmyGirl Sat 09-Jul-11 20:21:44

Nurseries should provide 'grant' only hours/sessions (your child is entitled to them and you should be able to use them wherever you choose) though they don't always. Contact your local authority who are responsible for giving this funding to the nurseries and ask them what 'contract' they have with settings (in our area this used to be called the revenue funding agreement) and what if anything this stipulates about what nurseries must offer in order to get the funding. Once you know what the local arranagments are you will then be in a position to discuss this with the nursery.

Jesusgirl Sun 10-Jul-11 02:19:37

My ds went to a private nursery, we got the grant for the 2 1/2 hour sessions and then paid the difference.

cat64 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:40:35

Message withdrawn

purple15 Sun 10-Jul-11 20:52:53

Hi have owned private nursery for 11 years, the policy now with the local authority is to be flexible, if the parent wants just the three hours, they can, or If they want to pay for the extra top up hours they can. It is not 2.5 hours anymore, it is 3 hours.

Phoenix Mon 11-Jul-11 10:21:10

Thank you all, I didn't realise anyone had replied on it blush

I did end up ringing the nursery and they do do 3 hour sessions for 3 and 4 year olds so we've been for a look around and filled an enrolment form out and he will hopefully start next September grin

appplepie Wed 13-Jul-11 07:38:38

I book our DD in nursey for what ever childcare she needs and they take off 15 hours. DD must have at least 3 half day sessions over three days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now