Talk

Advanced search

Having a home visit before starting pre-school

(8 Posts)
TYBear Thu 30-Jun-11 20:55:40

My DD is due to start pre-school in September and we have had a letter from them that we have to have a home visit before we can start. What is this for?

Are they checking up on me/us? What are they looking for?

chuckeyegg Fri 01-Jul-11 13:52:50

We had one from DS pre-school, it just gave him the chance to meet his teachers and for you to discuss any concerns. They weren't checking up on us. I think it's encouraging when they do that it show how seriously they take your child starting and want it to be a sucess.

HTH

familyfun Fri 01-Jul-11 20:40:48

we had this, teacher brought a lamilnated card of dds name to get used to recognising it and gave her paper and pens and some nursery rhymes and go to know her a bit, was nice.

Spatz Fri 01-Jul-11 20:44:52

We had one. I thought the purpose was for DS to meet the teacher in his own environment so he would be more comfortable when he started nursery. She was very friendly and just had a little play with him.
I don't think she was checking up on us/him.

mercibucket Fri 01-Jul-11 20:46:01

quite normal, just so your child feels more secure in their own home when they meet their key worker for the first time

StitchingMoss Fri 01-Jul-11 20:48:00

We're having one next week - lovely idea, but I'm sure there's a teeny little bit of checking up on us too! smile wink

dribbleface Sat 02-Jul-11 21:06:31

is encouraged as best practice for settling a new child, and something ofsted like to see. gives a chance to see the child in their own environment and for the child to meet the adult in an environment that they feel safe in. No checking up i promise!

Al1son Tue 12-Jul-11 13:21:30

It is absolutely nothing to do with checking up on you. It is to help your child to settle in with the staff and to help the staff know your child the best they can.

The best way for any child to learn is by doing things which are meaningful to them and which meet their interests. The more a practitioner knows about the child's home life the more they can tailor the curriculum to their interests, knowledge and experience. For example if you have lots of pets they could use that to help your child make sense of a topic on nutrition by talking about what he/she feeds his pets, how often. That's probably not the best example but I'm in a hurry.

Enjoy the home visit and view it as an opportunity for the staff to get to know your child in a comfortable environment so they can make pre-school as good a learning experience as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now