Talk

Advanced search

nursery outing - parents have to attend

(9 Posts)
mousymouse Mon 06-Jun-11 20:36:17

just wondering, my ds preschool (within nursery) is planning a trip to a museum. we got a note that in order for him to attend he must be accompanied by a parent or carer. the museum is about 1 hour away by bus and tube.
neither dh or I can take the day off and the nursery days ds can't go.
he really wants to and they are planning the visit already.
is this normal?
it is a bit short notice (2weeks) as well.

Elk Mon 06-Jun-11 20:45:17

They will normally need a few parent helpers in order to look after all the children while they are out. Do you have a friend/know another parent who would look after your ds as well as their own child on the outing as I have done this in the past for friends that worked.

moaningminniewhingesagain Tue 07-Jun-11 23:46:29

We have just had the same thing - nursery is closing that day because everyone is on the trip too. So we couldn't go but now have to rustle up something for 2 children at short notice. Mine is a community preschool.

I am really pissed off that not only do they not get to go, we have nowhere to send them that day too. DD came home today all excited because they have been talking about the trip and she was sad she can't go - when it was offered it was a general we need some parents to come, now I have been told that specifically my children can't go.

fivegomadindorset Tue 07-Jun-11 23:59:22

I did work experience in a pre school and as long as they had the right ratio then they were fine. Check about ratios.

mousymouse Wed 08-Jun-11 08:48:33

yes, moaning, ds is very exciting. and I really can't go. have to talk to the nursery manager as it would be a shame if he had to stay behind with the smaller children.
last year they went to the theater (also by tube and bus) and they were taking children without parent without problems...so I don't quite understand why it doesn't work this time.

bluebobbin Wed 08-Jun-11 08:55:53

I think this is relatively normal. Since they will still look after your child at nursery, then I think it is "OK". It's not like they are closing the nursery.

You could ask if you could pay one of the nursery staff, just for that day, to be your DS's "carer".

mousymouse Wed 08-Jun-11 09:09:35

good idea blue, might try that one.

OddBoots Wed 08-Jun-11 19:33:32

Seems like a lot of nurseries/pre-schools are doing this now but not in previous years, I wonder if there has been some new guidance.

ALANAM Thu 09-Jun-11 12:34:20

Hiya i work in a nursery, we ask the younger group 2yrs old parent to come on trips as i feel they are so young. we would not be able to open the session for others as the staff would be on the trip and can't afford to pay relief staff. but we have aloud siblings to attend the trip as i know this may prevent parents from getting to go on the trip. but its so much paperwork with risk assessments its crazy. for the playgroup 3-5 yrs we just work by ratio 1/8 and just have couple of parents helpers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now