Talk

Advanced search

Best age to start pre-school?

(12 Posts)
BoosMaw Wed 18-May-11 21:47:35

Sorry if this has been done before, and also I realise this may be a very individual/subjective thing.....

but I'm filling in an application form for DS's preschool place, I need to state when I want him to start. He's currently 15 months old. The earliest he can start is 24 months old, but I could have him start at any time after that. AFAIK he won't need to be potty trained (I'm guessing we might do this aged 2.5y, but really can't know yet when that might happen). He'll get funding as usual from Easter after he turns 3.

I'm thinking of putting down Sept 2012, so he'll be 2.5yo then, is there generally any advantages in starting earlier or later than this?

He goes to a CM 3 days/wk at the moment so he's used to being away from me.

Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received smile

Seona1973 Thu 19-May-11 12:56:56

neither of mine started before the age of 3 when they got their funding

Jojay Thu 19-May-11 13:08:02

It really depends on the child, I think.

Ds1 started when he was 3 nad got his funding and it was quite soon enough for him.

Ds2 is a much more confident, sociable soul and is due to start as a rising 3, though he'll be 2.11 so not that young really. He probably could have started ages ago, but ours won't take them any younger than that.

Guildenstern Thu 19-May-11 13:11:59

If you start in September you are more likely to get the hours you want.

You might want to check on the potty training. You never know how long this will take and some pre-schools will refuse to take them unless trained.

Do you want half-days or full days? At the pre-school we use, the children don't get a nap (as opposed to nursery when they do) so you'll need to be sure your child can go a whole day without sleeping. My 4 year old son currently struggles with this but obviously they're all different.

Bonsoir Thu 19-May-11 13:17:36

When he turns 3 is plenty soon enough IMO.

lifeinthemidlands Thu 19-May-11 13:23:18

I don't think there's a case of whether there's an advantage - it's whether he'd enjoy it. My DD had been in nursery, so started about 2 - she loved it. DD2 started and 2.11 and I was on the verge of postponing - she only seemed ready literally just before (and also loves it)

TurtlesAreRetroRight Thu 19-May-11 13:25:26

DD went when she was eligible for funding. It worked perfectly. She was ready, happy and no settling in issues at all.

I suppose it depends on the child. Before 3 she got everything she needed at home. After 3 she needed some interaction with other children.

TimeForCake Mon 23-May-11 11:36:05

Hi, am in exactly the same position with same age baby. Although I don't have a CM.
I have decided to put Ds's name down for Sept 2012 but for a couple of morning sessions. The pre-school I have chosen said that if I feel DS isn't ready in Sept, he can wait til Jan. I decided I'd rather do it that way round.
Maybe you could do this too?

Can't believe it's next year!

OhCobblers Mon 23-May-11 17:29:20

Both mine started at 2.6 (DC1 actually 2.5) but thats because i "knew" they were ready (5 mornings a week from the start) and would love it - i was right!

Neither potty trained when they started but i knew the nursery were fine with that.

emsies Fri 10-Jun-11 17:37:50

Mine is starting this September when she will be 2.7. However I think she would be ready now. She loves interaction in the groups we go to and I think it will do her good to go for the 2 mornings they recommend you start with.

I remember asking the manager there (a friend of mine) what she recommended and she replied it really was down to the individual child. My child is very energetic and outgoing and bright and inquisitive and loved the morning we went to visit so it certainly is right for us. We would also like her settled before baby number 2 arrives smile

ceeb Thu 30-Jun-11 21:58:55

Both my boys started when they were 2.5 and it was too early for them. For some reason, 3 (or closer to 3) was a real turning point for both. At 2.5 they were unhappy being left, but when they started the next stage of preschool only 4 months later they loved it. I don't know whether it might be a gender thing or not but I noticed 3 was a big turning point for them, not only for pre-school but even for other classes like swimming and music classes. They were only happy being left with a teacher (without me) when they were closer to 3.

ceeb Thu 30-Jun-11 22:00:17

Oh I should add that both of them went to a CM before as well, so being apart from me generally wasn't the issue....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now