Talk

Advanced search

Novice here - what's the easiest way to put name tags in uniform?

(25 Posts)
MummyAbroad Thu 12-May-11 17:00:57

DS has just started nursery and everything needs name tags - is there some nice gadget I can get to save me actually <gulp> sewing?

Or, if it comes to that, can someone give me some nice easy step by step instructions.

thanks!

arfanarf Thu 12-May-11 17:18:28

Just write on the labels with ballpoint pen - couldn't be easier.

nickelbabe Thu 12-May-11 17:20:23

you can also buy iron-on labels.

Fennel Thu 12-May-11 17:23:32

Buy a fine indelible marker. Lasts for years.

We had some sew-on ones, they are OK, but come off after a bit.

Sidge Thu 12-May-11 17:32:40

Write surname on the label with indelible finetip pen.

IME iron on or sew on labels either come off or get removed.

Seona1973 Thu 12-May-11 21:11:27

I use iron on ones and sometimes a laundry marker on the label (when I cant be bothered getting the iron out)

MummyAbroad Thu 12-May-11 21:22:01

Thanks everyone,

writing directly on the labels is not an option as there is only a teeny tiny label with the size on it, nothing else. DS's name is very long as over here in Costa Rica you have to use two surnames.

Iron on does sound a bit flimsy. I am assuming putting clothes in the dryer will make them fall off all the quicker?

I have a horrible sinking feeling I am going to have to get a needle and thread out. <sigh>

Seona1973 Thu 12-May-11 21:29:01

I dont use a drier so have never had problems with them coming off. They are supposed to be drier safe anyway.

slovenlydotcom Thu 12-May-11 21:32:37

I use iron on and a dryer-when I sent dd's school blouses to the charity shop i had to cut the actual clothes label out as I could not remove the iron on one two years after I had put it on!!

MummyAbroad Thu 12-May-11 23:13:06

oooh that sounds encouraging...

<feels a bit thick emoticon> so does that mean you iron the name tag on to the clothes label not on to the clothes? I only have a 5mm by 5mm label sad

Seona1973 Fri 13-May-11 08:12:15

Mine iron onto the clothes - they dont stay stuck to the label (I did try putting them on the label!)

arfanarf Fri 13-May-11 17:53:07

There is something you can buy to attach name tags without sewing or ironing - taggit

RatherBeOnThePiste Fri 13-May-11 17:59:57

Just sew them!
Here in London of course there are companies who will do all your sewing in of labels for you. <Outraged, but secretly envious>

stealthsquiggle Fri 13-May-11 18:07:17

Get out your needle and thread grin

but for socks, etc - try the ink transfers (as opposed to iron-on tapes) - they work well for me [bitter resentment at school insisting on naming of socks, even though the nametapes cost more than the bloody socks]

said Fri 13-May-11 18:08:01

Biro

ChoChoSan Fri 13-May-11 18:11:44

I'm getting iron on labels, and then putting them on with my hair straighteners when she gets something new so I don't have to get ironing board out!

chrisrobin Fri 13-May-11 18:11:47

I use sew on ones, join the two short ends and sew them on so it makes a loop. Its quick and easy and makes a good hanging loop for the clothes too.
Socks, shoes and underwear I label with a laundry pen.

rathlin Fri 13-May-11 18:15:00

I bought lovely sew on ones with DS's name printed on them - gave up after a while - it's a nightmare. Ordered some news iron-one ones. Although you do have to iron them for about 15 secs three times, it's so much easier. Life is too too short for sewing on name tags.

stealthsquiggle Fri 13-May-11 18:17:07

really rathlin? I find it quite a soothing thing to do in front of the TV with wine to hand blush

Maybe I should sign up with one of those nametape-sewing-on companies? How much do you think I would get? I know the matrons at DC's school will do it for £1 a time - that would be worth it.

MummyAbroad Fri 13-May-11 20:56:30

oooh Fab thanks, loads of ideas.

Love the idea of buying a gadget, will look into that arfanarf

the hair straightners tip is pure genious ChoChoSan (this is what I come on MN for grin)

rathlin Very tempted by pre-written names tags, nice

and stealthsquiggle I only wished I lived in the UK so I could be your first postal order customer!! Getting someone else to do it is absolutely the best suggestion of all grin

risingstar Wed 18-May-11 12:38:23

i use tagits- fabulous invention- oldest dd is 16 now so have had years of unnecessary sewing.

also very useful for attaching ribbon to much loved bear with mobile number written onto it.

has saved poor old bear several times

LarsA Sun 22-May-11 14:12:33

Try My Nametags iron-on labels, they stay on in driers and are quick to apply.

You can iron on labels to either the care label or the clothes themselves.

Oh, and they deliver anywhere, so will ship to Costa Rica.

moonbells Wed 25-May-11 09:17:02

I just sew the ends on really firmly, leaving the middle as a hanger loop. Has been great for DS's fleeces which didn't have a loop anyway. I had to do all mine when a schoolgirl (if I'd waited for my mum to work out how a needle is threaded, I'd still be waiting now...) and now have a double-barrelled surname and we didn't give DS the shortest of first names, either, so I am blowed if I'm sewing them on all the way around! smile

chattysue Sun 12-Jun-11 20:28:01

I have just started using 'pins' with name tags. I got them from - www.nametag-it.co.uk. There is a really useful video clip that shows you how to use them. They are brilliant .... bye bye sewing!!!

cat64 Sun 12-Jun-11 20:31:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: