Advanced search

Toddler due to start pre-school at same time 2nd baby due

(14 Posts)
poggyf Wed 06-Apr-11 20:27:16


My 2 year old is due to start pre-school this September and I am expecting my 2nd child on 11th Sept so the timing is not ideal. I know you are not supposed to do new things with your toddler so they wont feel pushed out by new baby. Has anyone else had this issue? I cant start him early as it will be summer holidays. Should I postpone until January or is it really not a big deal? He doesnt go anywhere on his own at the moment. We go to groups etc but i am there with him.

Any tips appreciated!

MerryMarigold Wed 06-Apr-11 20:31:14

Can you not get him in even the second half ot the holidays? If not, I would start him off maybe just 2 days per week till Christmas and then perhaps 4 days till Easter and 5 days on the summer term. Is that possible? I started my ds1 when I was pregnant, but he was already 2.4 when I got pg. He went 2 days per week for 2 terms and then 3 days per week a couple of months before babies were born (I was still paying as they only did it free the term after he was 3). Finally went 5 days per week a couple of months after they were born.

MerryMarigold Wed 06-Apr-11 20:32:18

Sorry, not making sense. I meant can you get him into the playschool for the summer term, just 1 day so he gets used to being away from you. This is quite a big deal. I have just put my twins into playschool 1 morning a week and it has taken 2 months for my dd to settle (she's still not happy).

spidookly Wed 06-Apr-11 20:38:20

2 is very little. Why not wait until January?

BlueberryPancake Wed 06-Apr-11 21:36:49

agree - I'd wait until Jan.

Frimblypoo Wed 06-Apr-11 21:44:46

same happened to us, I delayed his preschool start by 6 months so we could enjoy each other and the new baby a bit longer (started just over 3 rather than 2.5)

CaptainNancy Wed 06-Apr-11 21:47:30

My DD was due to start her new pre-school a week before DC2 was due- we left it until the start of the next term so she had chance to adjust to new family dynamics first. It worked well for us.

poggyf Thu 07-Apr-11 15:10:31

thanks all - looks like waiting until january seems the sensible option! i will make the call!

PigeonPie Fri 08-Apr-11 20:52:11

poggyf - I think it would be worth talking to your pre-school. Under the circumstances, at our playgroup, we would be happy to defer until after the half term in October so that he doesn't feel pushed out but can start settling in and being the 'grown up big brother' - if you can cope with getting out with the new baby!

Loopymumsy Sat 09-Apr-11 07:12:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iskra Tue 12-Apr-11 12:04:58

We are in the same position! DD will be due to start pre school in Sept, & I am due with baby 15th Sept. I think I am going to start her anyway as she has been in childcare settings before & hopefully will settle easily & quickly - & if baby is 2 weeks late like she was it will be nearly a month after she has started...

The Sept I started reception my mum had a baby & we moved house. I turned out okay grin

lovechoc Fri 13-May-11 08:45:15

I had my second child in July last year and DS1 started his nursery place in the August. Not ideal but he settled in well. Had a good 5 weeks at home first with his new baby brother before settling in to nursery. You may find that he settles in fine, you may be early or late remember with baby no2. Don't count too much on your due date!

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 13-May-11 08:57:31

Another vote for waiting until January. Two is very little and it is easy for them to feel pushed out. Think the transition to pre-school will be much easier when they are a little older too.

mariasmummy Thu 09-Jun-11 21:26:21

hello! I am in the same position. DD is 2 when they are offering a place and baby will be born that month. Even though she is very sociable and eager to play now (i would imagine very sociable in another 4 months) I wander if I should wait until she is 2.5 so she has some time with new baby before starting nursery. Sadly where we live places seem to be quite sparse so I do not yet know if I can get her in anwyhere in January yet.... what to do?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: