Talk

Advanced search

DD first day at preschool: send with nanny?

(5 Posts)
dkwmumtocew Sun 02-Jan-11 15:31:16

struggling how to handle my dd's first day at preschool. i'm a WOHM & won't normally be dropping her off at school (which starts at 1pm.) i'm taking her to an orientation day on the friday before school starts, but i'm debating if i should take her myself of the monday or have our nanny take her (which is the way life will normally be.) am also thinking of picking her up the first few days. i want to do what's best/easiest/most comforting for dd, but also not set up false expectations. any thoughts/advice most welcome!

GoldFrakkincenseAndMyrrh Sun 02-Jan-11 15:41:53

My nanny took me apparently. I don't remember!

You're taking her to the orientation day which is the first time for her, much better from Monday to stick to what the normal routine will be IMO.

PlanetEarth Sun 02-Jan-11 16:22:33

Personally I'd take her myself the first day at least. It's a big event (was to me, anyway) smile.

lifeinagoldfishbowl Sun 02-Jan-11 16:34:17

I am a nanny and have been involved in taking children to orientation days / first days at nursery/school etc when the wohp's have been unable to. However if the parents had wanted to take their children then obviously that wouldn't be an issue.

I would probably discuss with your daughter how the routine will be as with it being a new thing she may

1) get fixated that mummy takes/picks her up - I looked after 1 little boy who knew that I took him to nursery and when his mother went to take him - told her that "actually life takes me mummy!" grin
or be upset if the nanny tries to pick her up etc.

I would take her for her first day but maybe only pick up once or twice in the first week and let the nanny and dd get a good routine going

Good luck to DD

curlymama Sun 02-Jan-11 19:50:16

I think if you take her, you should pick her up too.

But there is no right or wrong, do what you feel most comfortable with. If she settles easily at the trial day then I wouldn't worry too much either way.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: