Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend a 'teach your child to read' book?

(5 Posts)
sotough Fri 24-Dec-10 16:53:58

that's it really. i can make it up as i go along but if there's a great book out there that would give me an idea how to approach it, step by step, that would be helpful.

alypaly Sat 25-Dec-10 01:04:29

I made flash cards which really worked for both mine and tried to do 10 words a week. Made it into a game by letting them pick the words.the Biff and Chip books are brilliant too.

maverick Sat 25-Dec-10 12:45:05

Jolly Phonics Handbook www.jollylearning.co.uk - complete range of multi-sensory literacy materials for teaching the Basic Code built around 'The Phonics Handbook' by Sue Lloyd. Unscripted. Suitable for young children 3-6 years old.

or, if you want more guidance, Debbie Hepplewhite's online synthetic phonics programme. www.phonicsinternational.com/ Comprehensive range of resources along with instructions for teaching the English Alphabet Code.Unit 1 (out of 12 units) is free to download (no registration needed) with no commitment to purchase further units. The Sounds Book activity sheets are the core of the programme and they include guidance on every sheet right through the programme.
Programme guidance booklet: www.phonicsinternational.com/guidance_book.pdf
Early Years Starter Package; Young-child resources for children aged 3-5, for pre-school settings and parents who want to make an early start with synthetic phonics: www.phonicsinternational.com/Early-Years-Starter-P ack-Intro.html

SkyBluePearl Sun 26-Dec-10 19:46:54

jolly phonics CD from ELC. Don't buy the DVD though as its naff. CD comes with a book containing songs/actions/sounds.

EdgarAleNPie Sun 26-Dec-10 19:50:19

any book with simple words and lots of pictures. mine are into Night Garden, so i read through pointing to the words and stop for them to say the words they know - a larger number each time....

some of the bookstart books (one ted falls out of bed, don't wake the baby, etc etc)

phonics approaches good too. you can get alphablocks on youtube, and fun with phonics....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now