Talk

Advanced search

Do nursery schools teach phonics?

(5 Posts)
bytheMoonlight Thu 23-Dec-10 11:43:36

Just wondering when it started to be introduced? DD will be starting nursery in January, she is 3.1.

I have just started showing her the Jolly Phonics videos on Youtube and she seems to enjoy watching them. I just don't want to confuse her showing her things which may conflict with what she learns at nursery

bytheMoonlight Thu 23-Dec-10 11:58:28

anyone?

Elk Thu 23-Dec-10 12:25:15

My dd2's nursery used jolly phonics. DD1's first nursery used letterland and the second used jolly phonics. They normally do it at quite a slow pace.

mum2all Thu 23-Dec-10 18:49:22

The nursery staff should gear the introduction of phonics, numbers ,or anything else for that matter, in line with your DDs maturity and readiness to explore these areas. If you are interested in working in tandem with what the staff are doing then just ask, they should be more than willing to have a chat with you about what they do and how they pace it.
Good luck smile

sims2fan Thu 30-Dec-10 06:44:06

Most schools follow the 'Letters and Sounds' programme of phonics teaching these days, which is split into 'Phases.' When I taught Nursery a couple of years ago I had to teach 'Phase 1' of the programme, which was all about hearing and identifying environmental sounds, rhyming, alliteration, identifying the initial sounds in words, then finally splitting a simple word into its sounds, or blending the sounds into a word. So I taught the children the sounds the letters of the alpahabet make, and we played games doing things like 'go and get me something that starts with ssssss' etc, but I never actually showed them what the letters looked like. That comes into Phase 2 of the programme, and the school I was teaching in didn't agree with teaching that at Nursery level. But, I know some schools do, so a lot of Nursery classes will show the children the letters too. If you search for 'Letter and Sounds' (I think it might be on the DFES Standards website) you will be able to download all of the phases, and they will give you some good ideas for activities to do. I definitely think that hearing and saying the sounds, and recognising that words are made up of different sounds
(ie Phase 1) is a good first step, before actually reading the letters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: