Talk

Advanced search

what do I do a parent has:

(23 Posts)
honeybeetree Fri 03-Dec-10 20:05:21

Offered to pay my wages as her child (who requires a 1-1) can recive more hours in the pre school?

jollyma Fri 03-Dec-10 20:08:54

Is it all to be arranged openly through the pre school or directly from her, i think that makes a difference.

honeybeetree Fri 03-Dec-10 20:11:09

privatly

jollyma Fri 03-Dec-10 20:33:50

I'm not sure if i'm understanding your predicament. Do you currently work at the pre school and the parent is offering this with the staffs knowledge and is hoping to boost the number of hours the pre school are providing one to one to enable her child to attend more.

I dont know exactly how it works at a pre school but having worked as a health professional visiting schools i would not consider it if any part of it was kept from the pre school managers. I would also be concerned that any hours worked when money is provided privately may not give you protection if there were an incident of any kind. Who would you be accountable to if there was any queries etc.

ItalianLady Fri 03-Dec-10 20:34:50

What is it you are going to teach them?

ChippingIn Fri 03-Dec-10 20:35:00

Sorry - I'm really confused as to what she is offering to do?

jollyma Fri 03-Dec-10 20:36:08

I'm not sure if i'm understanding your predicament. Do you currently work at the pre school and the parent is offering this with the staffs knowledge and is hoping to boost the number of hours the pre school are providing one to one to enable her child to attend more.

I dont know exactly how it works at a pre school but having worked as a health professional visiting schools i would not consider it if any part of it was kept from the pre school managers. I would also be concerned that any hours worked when money is provided privately may not give you protection if there were an incident of any kind. Who would you be accountable to if there was any queries etc.

honeybeetree Fri 03-Dec-10 20:51:46

I am enployed there ... she would essentially pay for my wages for 6 hours a week...

honeybeetree Fri 03-Dec-10 20:53:31

it would be a private termly amount paid to the setting and then paid to me ...

ChippingIn Fri 03-Dec-10 20:57:49

I'm sorry - I really don't get what the problem is here? She has offered to pay the setting so that they can afford for you to work more hours? Surely the only question is - do you want to work the hours?

<Chip feels like she is being very stupid and completely missing the problem>

jollyma Fri 03-Dec-10 21:00:08

Sounds like its all open and arranged properly. I dont see what the problem is, if you like the child and want to do it then why not. If any other parents find out and have anything to say then it can be argued that it is for all the childrens benefit as the other staff are not needing to spend time with the child one to one. I would offer the same if my child needed extra attention. Why are you not sure about it?

curlymama Fri 03-Dec-10 21:11:18

Would there still be enough staff for there to be a good staff to child ratio when it comes too the other children, or is she going to pay you to give your attention to her child at a time that you wouldn't otherwise be working?

honeybeetree Fri 03-Dec-10 21:55:07

When I wouldn't otherwise be working... just feel bad.....

ChippingIn Fri 03-Dec-10 23:02:52

I give up. If you actually want a little bit of advice about this, you are going to need to post more than the occasional one liner.

thisisyesterday Fri 03-Dec-10 23:10:18

so she has said to the pre-school that she wants to pay exgtra for you to work 1-1 with her son?
on top of what you already do?

s'up to you isn't it? do you want the extra work?
is it that you feel bad taking her money?

ItalianLady Sat 04-Dec-10 09:41:32

Me too ChippingIn.

honeybeetree Sun 05-Dec-10 16:45:24

sorry was busy but still feel bad about taking her money as why should she have to whenher child has a need.. ordineraly she would be able to have extra funding but there is no money in the cetral SN pot..... Yes I want the extra work but I feel bad that she has to pay..

honeybeetree Sun 05-Dec-10 16:46:31

** also I sounded bitchy I think I didn't meen to

SecretSlattern Sun 05-Dec-10 16:48:43

There is no funding here for any kind of support either. You are not alone. We have several children with SEN's that require 1:1 but unfortunately the funds do not extend to it and these children aren't getting the best that they could be getting.

Bonkerz Sun 05-Dec-10 16:54:44

the mother may recieve direct payments from social services though which would find this 6 hours.

jollyma Sun 05-Dec-10 21:32:35

As a parent who could afford to pay a bit to get my childs needs met i would willingly pay even though i would feel sad that i needed to. As long as the parents can afford it the only problem i can see is that when his needs are reviewed and he does well the LEA might say he doesn't need the help originally requested. This could cause problems when he starts school if sufficient support isn't arranged. When there isn't much money they can be very good at finding reason to avoid paying extra. That said, early intervention is usually best so maybe his needs will have reduced by school age.

honeybeetree Mon 06-Dec-10 19:28:09

He will be statmented for school so that shouldn't be a problem

MrsPickles Mon 06-Dec-10 19:33:17

Well she'd be in a worse predictment if you refused to work it, she wouldn't have anyone to provide that extra work that she thinks will meet her son's needs. She is willing to pay so what is your problem? You can't feel bad and responsible for central lack of funding. You can feel sorry for her yes. You;re not thinking of doing the work for free are you? Or is your problem that you don't want to work the extra hours but think you should because she needs you to??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: