Talk

Advanced search

Bite mark at nursery

(9 Posts)
Grumpla Fri 26-Nov-10 00:07:52

As I was bathing DS this evening I noticed quite a severe bite mark on his arm (below elbow). Clearly a child - could see two sets of tiny individual tooth marks. It looked pretty sore, hadn't quite broken the skin but very dark and he was flinching when I touched it.

He was wearing long sleeves but they are always rolled up for food, messy activities etc. Plus I'm assuming that for a bite to have left such a clear mark he was probably screaming his head off when it happened.

I feel a bit worried that when I went to pick DS up (had a long chat with another member of staff, got his written report etc) there was absolutely no mention of this.

His keyworker is off sick at the moment and I guess my concern is that he hasn't been looked after quite so well in her absence. I don't want to make a scene exactly, but I feel really uneasy about DS getting hurt and nobody telling me about it. Do you think they just didn't notice? Or are bites just considered 'normal' in a nursery context?

PinkElephantsOnParade Fri 26-Nov-10 00:29:43

I am sure they did notice but they forgot to point it out at hometime.

It is a very busy time so possibly telling you got overlooked.

I would have a chat about it in the morning with the staff. Though don't expect them to tell you which child did the biting, it is usually policy to keep this confidential.

I don't think a bite like this would be seen as "normal" as such - it does happen but a nursery would see it as an issue to be dealt with.

I am sure they will be working out a plan of action with the parents of the biter.

lilo544 Fri 26-Nov-10 01:00:02

Bump Bizarre, was just about to write a nearly identical post, also found bitemark on my 4yr old Ds post nursery. Worried that no one noticed this happening, Dh is livid wants me to read the nursery the riot act? Was going to post in aibu.

MadamDeathstare Fri 26-Nov-10 02:16:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curlymama Fri 26-Nov-10 10:54:21

Definately talk to the nursery about this. Biting does happen, but it is not a regular occurance, and it does need to be dealt with.

It is possible that another staff member dealt with the incident adequately but forgot to pass the information on to the staff that were dealing with home time.

But either way, it should have been recorded with an accident/incident form, and you should have had to sign it.

Grumpla Fri 26-Nov-10 19:20:50

Thanks guys. Good to know I am not just being a paranoid twit about this.

I'm hoping to see his keyworker next week anyway so I think I will talk to her about it, in a non-confrontational sort of a way, and see if she can get to the bottom of it.

I'm not bothered about who did the biting. DS is far from angelic, I am sure there will be times when he is the guilty party rather than the victim, I would hope that the nursery would address this with me rather than telling tales to other parents.

It looks a lot better today anyway, just a bit yellow around the toothmarks (amazing how quickly he heals, bruise like that would be purple for WEEKS if it was on my arm!)

euracantha Sun 28-Nov-10 13:53:55

I have to agree with curly that biting is quite a rare thing at nursery when we have a biting incident we do take it very seriously the child who is bitten does cry so I cannot see how staff would miss your son being bittenIf this were to happen at my nursery it would be written in the accident book and reported to the parents of both children involved.We do not generally name the child who did the biting,although obviously the child will usuaklly say to their mum/carer ** bit me.[I hate biting]

izzybiz Sun 28-Nov-10 13:59:30

My SIL had to take my nephew out of his nursery as he kept on being bitten sad

euracantha how do you deal with biters at your nursery? SIL was happy with Dn nursery apart from this issue.

He goes to a CM now.

AphraBen Thu 02-Dec-10 16:06:33

My son has been bitten and kicked in the mouth in the past (2 separate occasions) he didn't cry or mention it to the teacher - we found out afterwards. Sometimes things happen when the teacher / carer looks away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now