Talk

Advanced search

Is nursery Early Years Funding going to stop?

(15 Posts)
Holymoly321 Sun 14-Nov-10 18:11:24

Have heard that the Early Years Funding for 15hours per week is posibly going to stop next year. Anyone know if this is true?

Simbacatlives Sun 14-Nov-10 18:13:35

No. The government have pledged to continue it. It currently is part of the ring fenced general sure start grant to Las. It will be part of a new unringfenced grant however guidelines for las about it have not yet been published.

Holymoly321 Sun 14-Nov-10 18:16:29

So if my DS gets his funding from January 2011 and continues at nursery he currntly attends, the funding should continue until he leaves for school in two years time? He currently goes to a private nursery rather than a state one, and with DS1 tnhey just took the funding off from his monthly invoice IYSWIM

Simbacatlives Sun 14-Nov-10 18:19:00

The spending commitment is for 4 years from April 2011. Yes he will be funded however what private nurseries can and can't charge for and how they charge has changed in past year ( linked to single funding formula) and so it may not be exactly the same.

Holymoly321 Sun 14-Nov-10 19:20:12

Ok Simba, thanks for that info. Need to go out and look for a job and wasnt sure I'd be able to if DS2 has to start going to a state nursery because he would no longer get funding for the private one.

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 14-Nov-10 19:25:27

"The government have pledged to continue it." Does that actually stand for anything or will they not go back on it when things no longer suit. It must cost money, so why not clobber parents a bit more, they can take it. I'm 99% certain it will disappear v soon.

Holymoly321 Sun 14-Nov-10 19:41:48

Shit, really Cristina? Now I am really worried! Does anyone know anything else? I have been offered a place for DS2 at a state nursery - should I take it then, even though I wouldn't have any childcare available to me during school holidays if by some fluke I actually did manage to find a part time job?

CristinaTheAstonishing Sun 14-Nov-10 19:54:54

Sorry, Sausage, I don't have any insider info, just going by what is happening so far. This government seem to be cutting everything, I'm sure subsidised childcare is just one of those things that will vanish. They want mums back at the stove anyway. I think I'd carry on as I were at the moment, look for a job etc and see what happens. I suppose they'd give a bit of notice, even with Uni tuition fees increase they've given one year notice. (So very generous to let us plan.)

Holymoly321 Sun 14-Nov-10 19:58:10

Gah! next thing you know they'll be charging us for school!

Twilightfan1 Sun 14-Nov-10 20:03:51

I was talking to my DDs keyworker at her nursery the other day, I asked her if she knew anything about funding being cut, and she told me that it wont happen. So come next September my dd can attend nursey for the full entitlement, at the moment she only attends one morning a week, as that is all we can afford.

PlonkerForLifeNotJustChristmas Mon 15-Nov-10 19:10:16

There are no immediate plans to cease Free Early Education Entitlement that I'm aware of - in fact, the piloted two year old funding is set to continue too (targeted).

Single Formula Funding will be operating from April 2011 which will streamline funding.

There is a huge amount of uncertainty around all government schemes - it's a worrying time for everyone sad

midnightexpress Mon 15-Nov-10 19:18:10

saucysausage, tbh I'd be more worried about the future of the state nurseries themselves. Our local state nursery is the best in Scotland, has 'excellents' across the board fromt he Care Commission (we're in Scotland) but it's now threatened with closure because of the cuts.

Holymoly321 Wed 17-Nov-10 12:08:06

midnight -hope all goes well for you, and thanks everyone for your replies

midnightexpress Wed 17-Nov-10 12:09:46

Oh my children aren't there saucysausage, but thanks anyway. It would be a great loss to the community.

milly44 Fri 03-Dec-10 21:54:07

I'd be more worried about the many nurseries withdrawing from this underfunded scheme that doesn't cover their operating costs! Many are withdrawing or turning away 'free' entitlement children to keep their nursery businesses afloat. Support your local nursery by being aware of this underfunded spin. Its not free - nurseries in london and the south are subsidising government policy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: