Food sector fears 'worst-case' scenario Brexit will become reality from January with 40 per cent of trade grinding to a halt

(101 Posts)
SupplyChainHusband Sun 29-Nov-20 15:34:20

The government’s ‘worst-case scenario’ predicted 40-70 per cent of trucks travelling to the EU may not be ready for new border controls, resulting in queues of up to 7,000 trucks on motorways across Kent.

Since the EU supplies the UK with 26 per cent of its total food and around 70-80 per cent of its fresh fruit and vegetables, the disruption could leave a significant shortfall in the nation's food supplies.

Around 70 per cent of tomatoes, 99 per cent of spinach, 71 per cent of cucumbers and 74 per cent of pears come from Europe, according to Defra figures.

More information in link: www.fruitnet.com/eurofruit/article/183594/brexit-1.

OP’s posts: |
Ihavethesecret Sun 29-Nov-20 15:54:33

Did they offer any solutions for this shit show?

ReturntoSpamfritters Sun 29-Nov-20 20:41:56

Not only do they offer no solutions, they are busy getting ready to blame everyone else for this shitshow, of which they are the sole architects.

ReturntoSpamfritters Sun 29-Nov-20 20:46:38

Plus I think they are being optimistic there with that 40-70% figure.
Not to mention that the EU countries will be thinking about whether to export to us at all, given that it will be much more difficult and more expensive for them.

BlackeyedSusan Mon 30-Nov-20 14:33:41

Oh God not you again! Last time you started a thread it was equally bad news.

grin

<Tries not to shoot messenger>

Can't believe this is not more widely known. Can't believe that it isn't discussed more in the press.

Still stashing.

MarshmallowManiac Mon 30-Nov-20 14:41:39

Can't wait for the 7,000+ lorries to descend sad in Kent

BlackeyedSusan Mon 30-Nov-20 16:02:50

Look on the bright side. Those lorries may contain food...

Sirius99 Mon 30-Nov-20 16:06:04

Oh Dear how will manage, no cucumbers, pears, spinach, tomatoes,

Ihavethesecret Mon 30-Nov-20 17:53:26

I didn't realise how many meals I ate had tomatoes in till I couldnt get em🙄

Imsayingnothing Mon 30-Nov-20 20:21:58

Add to that a pandemic and economic crisis. Keep squirrelling and keep growing your own.

MarshmallowManiac Mon 30-Nov-20 21:17:49

Yes I hope they can get to us all without problem Blackeyed

Me too secret and courgettes and peppers and salad sad

Totally agree Imsayingnothing

duffeldaisy Mon 30-Nov-20 22:19:55

This is possibly not the best place to post this! I think most people here are aware that there will be some issues, which is why we're prepping a bit!

I do find this part of Mumsnet quite calming usually actually because there's no arguing about whether things are happening or not, just nice ideas on growing and preserving food, and giving to food banks. It's very practical and supportive. Thanks, all the posters here.

MarshmallowManiac Mon 30-Nov-20 23:55:07

Who is arguing duffeldaisy I must have missed that.

duffeldaisy Tue 01-Dec-20 00:06:38

@MarshmallowManiac

I just mean elsewhere you get the “Brexit won’t be a bad thing” “project fear” stuff.

In the Preppers section, it’s just, well, about prepping in case!

duffeldaisy Tue 01-Dec-20 00:08:31

(There might be more of a consensus now it’s all closer! I stopped reading a lot of threads on it a few months back, and just dropped in here instead).

ReturntoSpamfritters Tue 01-Dec-20 11:22:52

duffeldaisy

(There might be more of a consensus now it’s all closer! I stopped reading a lot of threads on it a few months back, and just dropped in here instead).

Now there has been advice on what to stockpile even in the Daily Express, I fear the sunlit uplands are not looking quite so sunny. Only a few diehards are still going "it'll all be fine" hmm

BlackeyedSusan Tue 01-Dec-20 12:43:50

MarshmallowManiac

Yes I hope they can get to us all without problem Blackeyed

Me too secret and courgettes and peppers and salad sad

Totally agree Imsayingnothing

I thinking more of you getting to the lorries.

Are you familiar with the concept of wastage?

Or that gravity is particularly strong at the rear of lorries?

thlgrin

BlackeyedSusan Tue 01-Dec-20 12:46:01

You are still getting the "it will be fiiiiiiine" elsewhere.

BlackeyedSusan Tue 01-Dec-20 12:48:37

Sorry it was a short night,

I agree it is better round here as you don't often get the posters calling us deluded, paranoid, scaremongers, project fear etc.

ReturntoSpamfritters Tue 01-Dec-20 14:32:00

BlackeyedSusan

You are still getting the "it will be fiiiiiiine" elsewhere.

Oh yes, I know, just another month until it's not all fiiiiiiine though. Let's see how they enjoy that.
Are you still playing Hunt the Macaroni? Asda has lots.

ReturntoSpamfritters Tue 01-Dec-20 14:33:49

SupplyChainHusband

The government’s ‘worst-case scenario’ predicted 40-70 per cent of trucks travelling to the EU may not be ready for new border controls, resulting in queues of up to 7,000 trucks on motorways across Kent.

Since the EU supplies the UK with 26 per cent of its total food and around 70-80 per cent of its fresh fruit and vegetables, the disruption could leave a significant shortfall in the nation's food supplies.

Around 70 per cent of tomatoes, 99 per cent of spinach, 71 per cent of cucumbers and 74 per cent of pears come from Europe, according to Defra figures.

More information in link: www.fruitnet.com/eurofruit/article/183594/brexit-1.

More doom and gloom please SupplyChainHusband, seeing as you have all the insider info.

ScatteredMama82 Wed 02-Dec-20 11:11:40

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55151333

They added it was "vital that businesses and citizens make their final preparations too", and they were "intensifying our engagement... so they know exactly what they need to do to get ready."

What exactly are we citizens being told to do??

BlackeyedSusan Wed 02-Dec-20 11:38:05

"AND CITIZENS"

Wtf are they recommending and who have they told about it, only 30 days to go ffs.?.

Imsayingnothing Wed 02-Dec-20 12:23:10

I've been trying to learn about what foods can be used for medicinal purposes if needed too. For example egg shells cooked, baked then ground into a powder are like Tums apparently. I've grew lots of lemon balm, helps with anxiety apparently. Just trying to think of any last things to get which we might need.

Imsayingnothing Wed 02-Dec-20 12:31:50

@BlackeyedSusan the only thing I can think of is those radio adverts saying if you have a small business you need to look up their website for advice on how to get ready or the advice about changing passports or driving licences if you are going to be driving abroad.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in