Vacuum sealing

(12 Posts)
buckeejit Sat 09-May-20 22:09:50

Didn't know if I should put this in preppers or housekeeping! Couldn't find it in a search

Does anyone recommend this and if so, are they all much of a muchness or is there a particular brand/model to recommend?

Chicken gets freezer burn pretty quickly here so if this is an investment that saves space & increases longevity, great, but if it just takes more space then I'll pass. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
AdoraBell Sat 09-May-20 22:12:58

I don’t have one but I’m interested just don’t know which one would be best.

bellinisurge Sun 10-May-20 08:15:21

Naturally (grin) I have one. I haven't used it for a bit. I did my usual (second cheapest/good reviews) strategy for Amazon purchasing. I can't remember the make, I'm sorry.

buckeejit Sun 10-May-20 10:05:25

Thanks @bellinisurge I've seen one on amazon that has good reviews & about £40. Just going to check Argos now.

An old friend of mine said many years ago, if you buy the best quality one that Argos has, you won't go far wrong! Your style is similar 😂

Why haven't you used it though? I was thinking it. Would maybe be good for dehydrated food & save using the oxygen absorbers?

bellinisurge Sun 10-May-20 12:41:22

I used it loads to start with. Then , when I got more into canning, I stored my dehydrated stuff in sterilised glass jars.
I want to get back into doing things like dehydrated trail meals - 1960s Hiker Dude on YouTube has some great ones.

Sprayitall Sun 10-May-20 17:16:35

I use them for freezer space. I have this aobosi one from amazon and I thinks it’s good. I have so far stored veg and fruits. Very helpful to save some space.

buckeejit Mon 11-May-20 14:52:47

Thanks @Sprayitall that's the one I'm looking at. Do you have to use a certain brand or size of sealing stuff? Or will any do?

Sprayitall Mon 11-May-20 15:19:33

@buckeejit I have been using the same brands aobosi vaccum sealer covers and have bought couple of rolls ahead in Feb.

nicslackey Sat 18-Jul-20 13:08:50

I love mine. I had one which was very temperamental and replaced with this one which has been great (SLAOUWO V2 Vacuum Sealer, Multifunction Food Sealer Automatic Vacuum Sealing Machine with Patented Cutter, Food Saver Starter Kit with Smart Touch) Sorry, I can't do links! It is currently 30 squid on Amazon. I bought rolls but didn't really get on with them and much prefer bags as the edges are precut iyswim. I like to store thing in individual portions and it created loads of room in my freezers when I chucked all the packaging and no more freezer burn. I just cut off the name and cooking instructions (if applicable) from the original packet and pop them into the bag. I have also saved room (and apparently extended life of!) stuff like sultanas, nuts, etc. I am very glad of mine as it has created lots of room.

buckeejit Sun 19-Jul-20 22:58:53

@nicslackey thank you - a timely reminder as I bought 1kg of cranberries & have decanted quite a lot but should definitely seal the rest.

I'm a fan of the rolls - have only used the machine once to sort out 20 chicken fillets, once cleaned & some flattened the way I like to cook them, all portioned & sealed & sharpied with how many & 'flattened' if necessary. So much easier & definitely fresher from the freezer this way.

I've been on a lull but will do a winter list to ensure there's enough food for about a month.

buckeejit Sun 19-Jul-20 22:59:14

@nicslackey thank you - a timely reminder as I bought 1kg of cranberries & have decanted quite a lot but should definitely seal the rest.

I'm a fan of the rolls - have only used the machine once to sort out 20 chicken fillets, once cleaned & some flattened the way I like to cook them, all portioned & sealed & sharpied with how many & 'flattened' if necessary. So much easier & definitely fresher from the freezer this way.

I've been on a lull but will do a winter list to ensure there's enough food for about a month.

buckeejit Sun 19-Jul-20 22:59:24

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in