Lightweight, calorie and/or nutrient dense foods? Need to post pre-brexit for brexitprep.

(12 Posts)
MrsLettuce Mon 28-Jan-19 18:21:04

I'm a uk national in the eu. The government of the country I'm in have already provided firm assurance that resident uk nationals will be able to stay if we get No Deal, which is amazing. However my mother is still in the UK. She's socially isolated, housebound and on an enormous list of medications, the most vital of these might well be reasonably available in the event of No Deal but the rest, well, god only knows. Presumably they'll run out short. She can't travel so can't come to me.

I've managed to persuade her to up her stocks (which are usually at about 1 week, give or take) but she will not accept me sending cash for her to buy extra, extra stocks. She's said I can send a package of 'extras' if I must, which is where I need you preppers

I'm after light stuff because I'll need to post it, hopefully with the next few days. Ideally I'd like to send her a wee gas burner (and a number of refills) too but I don't want to scare her too much more, so my plan is to do that at the end of Feb/begining of march. I've not spoken about bottled water with her yet either so will broach that at about the same time.

On my list I have:

Dried fruit and nuts (various types of each)
Musilie bars
Dried mushrooms
Sos mix/falafel mix type stuff (depending what I can get)
Seeds to sprout
Dried soup (but I suspect this is probably pointless for calories/nutritionally)

This seems somewhat pathetic. Any tips?

OP’s posts: |
Gattara Mon 28-Jan-19 19:14:17

Are you able to open a shopping account with one of the UK supermarkets and have a home delivery sent to her? That way you dont have to think about the weight.

ElyElyOy Mon 28-Jan-19 19:24:38

What about Huel? You can order it online and have it posted to her directly. It’s balanced as a healthy meal replacement.

I would be wary sending gas through the post: I’m a Prepper (regardless of Brexit) and even I don’t think it’s that likely that there will be any major disruptions to power (never say never!). But if there was I don’t think using a camping stove inside be advisable.

Send her some spare meds (if they are available OTC in your country) and look at ordering food and essentials online to be delivered (Amazon Pantry may be a good choice) and maybe look at food that doesn’t need cooking if you are genuinely concerned about her being without power for a huge amount of time.

I also think sending bottled water though the post is not necessary: order through amazon pantry (or Ocado or whatever) but postage for how much you would be able to send and possibility of damage and how long it would last doesn’t seem to warrant sending. Again, I don’t think water is likely to be affected by Brexit.

MrsLettuce Mon 28-Jan-19 19:39:44

Thank you.

Gas through the post a very daft idea indeed shock Yes. Scrap that.

It seems I had a bit of an anxiety explosion and wasn't thinking clearly at all.

I didn't know about amazon pantry (amazon isn't a thing here, somehow) so I'll check that out. Sounds perfect. Last I checked (a few years ago) I couldn't use my foreign bank card to order from the uk supermarkets but that's probably changed. Must do that. I also now have a credit card. I have gone full numpty.

OP’s posts: |
MrsLettuce Mon 28-Jan-19 19:42:33

Wasn't thinking of posting water, no. Wasn't that far gone!

It's very reassuring that you think water/power will be ok. I'd read that there were not enough chemicals ordered to keep water processing plants going for too long. Also something about lack of clarity over the electricity sharing thing with EU.

OP’s posts: |
cloudtree Mon 28-Jan-19 20:02:49

Yes definitely just do a sainsbury's delivery or amazon pantry.

bellinisurge Mon 28-Jan-19 21:28:31

Agree with a Sainsburys delivery in particular because I think they will bring it in for her rather than just throwing it across the threshold if you ask for it.
Obviously, the alternative is for someone to be there on the allotted time slot. This might be trickier to arrange. From my experience of care visits to my mum the times sometimes change at short notice and I doubt that someone could wait for the full half hour slot.
There are also ready meals - something farmhouse (sorry, can't remember)-where they are absolutely ready to deliver into the house. We bought a little freezer for mum and she stored them in there. Mum ordered what she fancied from the catalogue. Expensive but a good alternative.

bellinisurge Mon 28-Jan-19 21:33:34

I'd also make sure that social services know that there is a vulnerable person living there. I will admit to being very reluctant to involve social services but they couldn't have been nicer, more professional or more respectful. And handy for knowing about getting adjustments done. Mum was a very proud self sufficient person but came around to the idea when she realised it was actually going to help her stay at home. I genuinely think vulnerable people will be prioritised in any tricky situation. One of the reasons I stress that people should do what they can to take care of themselves and keep out of the way so that people who need it can get any help.

MrsLettuce Mon 28-Jan-19 22:26:21

SS? oh fuck. I know you're not wrong sad How is best to do that? Will they tell her/imply how they 'found out'?

OP’s posts: |
noodlenosefraggle Mon 28-Jan-19 22:31:53

What about protein powder/complan type stuff? Easy to drink and calorie dense.

MrsLettuce Mon 28-Jan-19 22:34:19

Thank you Bellini. And also for the rest of the advice.

I'm going to suggest I order her a box (or 2) from amazon and a couple of no-overwhelming sized Sainsbury's deliveries. Wonder if she'll accept that

OP’s posts: |
ElyElyOy Mon 28-Jan-19 22:59:29

Amazon Pantry should work fine, have a look but I’m sure it accepts international accounts (although maybe need to log in through a “hide my vpn” or whatever it’s called so you can pretend you are in the UK when you order it.

Wiltshire’s farm foods I think Bellini is referring too: they are very popular with people I have dealt with I the community through work and they have 100s of choices and can’t be balanced to dietary/medical requirements.

However if there are additional support needs then social services can become involved and arrange meals on wheels: which run in all weathers and is an added bonus if your mum is rural. Plus they physically take the food in and can use key safes for access if required.

It’s worth talking to your mum and then call social services (most let you do online referrals). At the very least they can make sure she is getting the correct benefits help, and also signpost for extra support/amenities such as home help, key safes, door entry systems, fire safety and security assessments. If she is reluctant you can try going through someone like Age UK: they have regional offices that can go out to people and offer very similar services to SS, but less formal.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in