Nido mik or follow on formula for toddler.

(12 Posts)
Primarystress Sun 11-Nov-18 14:01:29

Adding to my prepping shopping list! If I'm prepping for a 12mo toddler, do you reckon it's worth getting powdered formula? Baby is breastfed so it would just be to cook with. I thought Nido looks like a suitable alternative as it's full fat and cheaper than formula! TIA.

OP’s posts: |
bellinisurge Sun 11-Nov-18 18:02:25

At 12 months, your child will need a varied diet. You probably don't need formula milk at that stage if you have other preps for them and Nido would do instead of full fat milk which is what I fed my dd at that age. I couldn't bf - serious post natal health problems. If you stay healthy yourself and eat as well as you can, your milk would be excellent.

bellinisurge Sun 11-Nov-18 18:03:12

Vitamin drops for your toddler would be a good idea, I think.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 11-Nov-18 18:08:19

Wouldn't they be on cow's milk by that point?

ElyElyOy Sun 11-Nov-18 19:28:19

From a prep point of view Alpro Soya Growing Up UHT would be a good choice - it’s the next best thing to cows milk fat/vitamin wise smile

bellinisurge Sun 11-Nov-18 19:35:26

I don't have a toddler - dd is 11 now. If I did, I would be getting as big a variety of things she would eat. A toddler is not a toddler for long and pinning everything on formula to sustain her might not be the best idea because storage would be a problem.
Vitamin drops.
Totally understand the worry. My dad survived the 30s depression as a little boy and was always, a little scrap as, I think, consequence .

Primarystress Mon 12-Nov-18 22:38:45

Thanks folks :-)

ICJump Fri 16-Nov-18 10:33:12

A bag/pack of milk powder would be cheaper and more useful.
Also you can keep breastfeeding then in an emergency breastfeed more frequently and your supply will increases to meet the demand.

Breastfeeding is an excellent disaster preparedness tool.

bellinisurge Fri 16-Nov-18 10:43:59

It is an excellent disaster preparedness tool but if you are not able to eat properly it will damage the supply. Putting all your plans into being able to bf is not realistic and adds pressure and stress where prepping is supposed to help mitigate against it.
Always a good idea to have more than one plan to address a crucial problem.

ICJump Fri 16-Nov-18 19:09:35

That not strictly true about eating. Even women without good regular supply of food produce enough milk if they are allowed to time feed.

ICJump Fri 16-Nov-18 19:16:36

It’s also significantly easier than formula given how much water is required to safely make formula in an emergency.
This a copy of opperational guidance for infant feeding in emergency it’s worth a read reliefweb.int/report/world/infant-and-young-child-feeding-emergencies-operational-guidance-emergency-relief-0

Also looking up the work of Dr Karleen Gribble who is a leading expert in infant feeding in emergencies

Primarystress Sat 17-Nov-18 20:23:02

Thanks for the link, IC Jump :-)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in