Wonderbag slow cooker

(22 Posts)
MrsMcRostiesHighlandScottische Sun 09-Sep-18 17:15:46

Has anybody got one? It is basically a haybox. You can make your own too, but I would have polystyrene beads everywhere so I won't attempt it. I don't use my slow cooker much but I am considering getting one of these. I have to say that the thought of storing it is slightly offputting.

OP’s posts: |
bellinisurge Sun 09-Sep-18 18:36:15

I have one. It's basically where you get something up to temperature on the hob and then put in to keep cooking in the heat you made in it.
Yes, like a straw box of your or wrapping a heated pot in cushions.
I intend to use it more in the winter.
Not massively convinced yet but I like the idea of still cooking a soup or stew low and slow but without using up fuel.

bellinisurge Sun 09-Sep-18 18:36:44

And it doesn't take up much space.

MrsMcRostiesHighlandScottische Mon 10-Sep-18 11:05:23

Thanks. Interesting to know that it doesn't take up much space. Do you have the small or large one?

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 11:09:08

Oh I'd love to hear more about this, as I previously considered a haybox-type thing but have been veering towards slow cooker.

My aunt used to make porridge in a haybox thingy, but I sadly she's long gone so I can't ask.

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 11:58:16

I have a small one - there are only 3 if us.

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 12:01:12

We use a slow cooker all the time but obviously that depends on the electricity being on. I also have a Dutch oven and -I actually used it in the heat this year grin- a cheapo sun oven.
I haven't tried the Dutch oven on a fire yet but it's basically a le Creuset or similar which I use a lot too.

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 12:21:36

Ahh, that company is South African – as was my aunt.

Not a new thing over there...

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 12:29:41

Here is mine with a thumbs up for sort of scale. Openand closed. It came shrink wrapped about half the size. Obviously from the photos you can see it is not being used but that is storage sized. It will expand to take a standard casserole dish thing.

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 12:44:40

You have elegant hands!

<hides bitten stubs>

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 13:11:21

Mucky nails, though. blush

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 13:13:26

Your contribution to the cause nonetheless much appreciated.grin

Is your hand almost touching that bag, or is the bag just further away?

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 14:36:10

My divinely grimy hand is resting on it.grin

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 14:49:23

Oh that really is quite compact then. Hmm... This is now a serious contender against the slow cooker.

MrsMcRostiesHighlandScottische Mon 10-Sep-18 17:26:23

Ooh, I was imagining a huge marshmallow like thing crawling out of the cupboard to smother me.

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 18:14:42

No. It's pretty compact when not in use. Mine's the smaller one but I assume the design principle is the same for the larger one.
Better than me fashioning something with old duvets or hay bales.

bellinisurge Mon 10-Sep-18 18:16:08

You still have to heat stuff up first on a hob or wherever. There are recipes that come with it to get you started. I will use it this autumn/winter.

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 23:32:42

Mm, I've been looking comments on other websites apparently there are such things , and someone's pointed out that a pot left too long in a haybox would eventually cool from bacteria-killing temperature to bacteria-growing temperature.

Something to be cautious of.

BunloafAndCrumpets Mon 10-Sep-18 23:36:23

Interesting, peking. The only person I know IRL to have used one of those bags gave up after too many food poisoning incidents confused

BunloafAndCrumpets Mon 10-Sep-18 23:37:29

Perking, sorry!

And I pressed send too soon. I was going to say, seeing as a lot of the world seems to use them they must be ok if used carefully in the right way (whatever that is!)

PerkingFaintly Mon 10-Sep-18 23:39:52

shock

bellinisurge Tue 11-Sep-18 06:22:26

I also do pressure canning and water bath canning. I live on the ragged edge.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in