Talk

Advanced search

Meals that can be made with cupboard food on a camping stove

(22 Posts)
byairmail Tue 07-Aug-18 19:46:29

So I am preparing for the possibility of no electricity or gas so no fridge/freezer and no oven/hob. Will have camping stove. Any ideas of meals? I have:

Rice and tinned veg stir fried with soy sauce
Noodles
Pasta and tuna salad with olives and mayonnaise (sachets so only open as needed)

Snugglepumpkin Tue 07-Aug-18 21:35:52

Anything you can make in a saucepan, or if you have a steamer that goes on top of a saucepan, anything you can steam as well, plus anything you can fry/griddle.

Coleman also make a small collapsible camping oven which will sit on top of a 1 ring camping gas stove or a range, but you will almost certainly have to ship it from the states if you want one.
They work really well but would just about fit a 6 cup muffin tin/small loaf tin sort of size, so you can only fit a small chicken in them if you take out the shelf (can put 2 small trays in with shelf in)

Screaminginsidemeagain Tue 07-Aug-18 21:40:21

Pirate food- tin pilchards in tomato, tin chopped tomatoes, pepper, salt and paprika. Serve with rice.

Whatthefoxgoingon Tue 07-Aug-18 21:49:03

I have a mental image of an eyepatch and a parrot on your shoulder aaaarrrr me hearties.... wink

Screaminginsidemeagain Tue 07-Aug-18 21:50:52

It for the kids to eat it- it’s a cheap, quick meal. Filling and healthy

Screaminginsidemeagain Tue 07-Aug-18 21:51:59

Always went better if feeing in them in a cardboard box ship!

FinallyHere Tue 07-Aug-18 22:01:01

Fry mushrooms (and bacon, but we tend not to bother) in butter. garlic and spring onions.

Once the juices have run, pour into pudding basin, rinse pan

Boil water, add pasta cook til, well, cooked. Drain, add butter then mushroom mixture. Add parmesan if you like it. Enjoy.

JustLikeBefore Tue 07-Aug-18 22:20:41

you could do hay box cooking,

you'd need a casserole dish/Dutch oven sory of dish. You heat it on the stove to bring it boil, I think (there are instructions in the link) then pack it in a box stuffed full of hay or old newspapers and leave for a few hours

www.survivopedia.com/surviving-off-grid-4-recipes-to-cook-in-a-haybox/

bellinisurge Wed 08-Aug-18 09:19:25

Also going to try Dutch oven cooking. Have a wonderbag - heat your ingredients up to temp then pop the pot in the wonderbag and it keeps them hot and infuses the flavours. No further heat needed. Eat after a couple of hours.

AdaColeman Wed 08-Aug-18 09:50:36

Vacuum packs of sliced potatoes with bacon that you fry to heat, usually called "brunch" or "breakfast" packs, get them in Sainsbury's or Waitrose. Add eggs towards the end of cooking.

Fried tomatoes and red peppers with eggs, cooked together.

Soup, homemade or tinned, add soup pasta to it to make it more filling.

Maybe look into borrowing a pressure cooker? A lot of them include internal dividing baskets so you can cook quite complex meals in them.

Ignoramusgiganticus Wed 08-Aug-18 09:55:50

Fry sliced chorizo (the type they sell that isn't refrigerated) and onion. Cook pasta then add a jar of Lloyd Grossman tomato and chili pasta sauce along with the cooked chorizo and onion.
Delicious.

AdaColeman Wed 08-Aug-18 10:43:48

You can cook pasta in a thermos flask, used wide neck flask if you have one. Put in pasta, top up with boiling water, close tightly, leave for about 15 minutes, you'll soon get the hang of the timing. Works well for small pasta like orzo which cooks in just a few minutes.

Use the cooked pasta to make pasta carbonara, fry up some bacon {or mushrooms} and onions in a saucepan while the pasta is cooking, drain pasta, add to hot saucepan, stir in beaten eggs! Delicious.

BiddyPop Wed 08-Aug-18 11:26:54

Couscous only needs boiling water in a bowl - so you can boil a kettle first and add the water to a bowl (any spare going into a thermos for washup or tea later), and then use the stove for cooking the meat/sauce etc.

Microwave rice can be cooked by adding boiling water to the pouch for a few minutes, or adding the pouch to a pot of boiling water. Or microwave pasta. Or there are boil in the bag rice and easicook pasta which should be easier to deal with.

bellinisurge Wed 08-Aug-18 12:53:17

Couscous is a great idea @BiddyPop

Bouledeneige Wed 08-Aug-18 14:42:55

The chorizo in tomato sauce is s good one. You could alternatively add chopped up roast chicken breasts.

Another tomato sauce option I make is fried garlic and onion and red pepper slices, add the tomato sauce (I used seeds of change tomato and basil) and a ton of mixed beans. You can throw in feta or chicken.

Another option is fried onion, mushrooms and garlic with Elmilea cream (les fat) and add the chicken with rice.

BiddyPop Wed 08-Aug-18 15:13:51

Tinned condensed soup makes a great base for a sauce as well - chicken, or mushroom, or chicken and white wine in particular.

TooManyPaws Sat 11-Aug-18 15:19:10

Camping cookbooks have great advice and recipes, as do Dutch oven cookbooks.

As I'm rural, I made sure my new kitchen range had a gas hob which could be manually lit if no electricity (some newer ranges will completely cut out if no power). We don't have a gas supply (1/4 mile away!) so it runs off bottled.

quince2figs Mon 13-Aug-18 09:58:45

I found out by accident that you don’t even the thermos flask to cook pasta, as have had long periods with a rather makeshift kitchen when renovating, ie: single induction job or camping stove.
Bring pasta, and salted water to the boil, then take off heat and leave covered for 10-15 mins. It actually seems to prevent overcoming too, so pasta nicely done without being soggy - I mostly do this all the time now!

bellinisurge Mon 13-Aug-18 13:49:53

I've made pasta salad by putting uncooked pasta in a wet mix of other salad stuff and leaving it overnight.

quince2figs Mon 13-Aug-18 23:59:14

Even better - I guess you end up with a super concentrated (ie: tasty) sauce/dressing

quince2figs Tue 14-Aug-18 00:00:14

Should read “over cooking “ in my first post....

bellinisurge Tue 14-Aug-18 07:07:51

@quince2figs - yes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: